Chapter 27:

________

The sand was unbearably hot and I struggled to make it to the the water where my feet would be free of the burning sensation.

"Hot hot hot hot.... Oohhh...."

I sighed in relief as the cold ocean water cooled me down instantly.

I gazed up at the sky, squinting my eyes as the sun blared in my peripheral vision.

I thought back to that moment with Rome. The moment where everything felt right. That day back in the car after I had gotten my shot. Back then when everyone was happy and safe.

I took a deep breath of the salty air before walking deeper into the water.

Once I was deep enough, I plunged my whole body underneath the water, holding my breath. I closed my eyes tightly and waited.

Moments like these were peaceful. I used to similar things back when I was living in that miserable manor. Whenever I took a bath, I'd dunk myself, and it helped.

I finally stood up when I ran out of air, and shook my head like a golden retriever, getting rid of access water. I wiped my hair back, enjoying the feeling of the gentle breeze.

I walked out of the water before grabbing my towel and wrapping myself. I noticed a small vendor and walked over to it, deciding to treat myself.

I looked at his laminated menu and thought of which flavor ice cream I wanted.

"Could I get... A vanilla cone?"

I paid and left, enjoying my ice cream.
Ever since I left, I had been making it a rule to indulge in things I was never able to as a kid. Ice cream was a never. In fact, most sweets or desserts weren't allowed. I still remember my brother's nagging voice whenever I pleaded with him. He always said the same thing.

"Sweets like those will rot your teeth!"

Even back then I knew it was an excuse. He just didn't want me to be happy.

I sat on one of the picnic tables and relaxed. Relishing in this moment did wonders for my mental well-being. I found myself being less anxious and sad.

"Cody...." A voice called out. I didn't bother to glance at the person responsible.

"Finally. You sure took your time." I wiped my hands before finally looking at the man in front of me.

"Did you bring it?"

Roy nodded.

He fumbled a little before handing me my contract. I took it, staring at it with a strange sense of disbelief. This piece of paper was the reason for everything.... I stared at my signature, sloppy. I remember being nervous and afraid, and it showed. Truthfully, it wasn't the paper. It was the name written down. Me. I was the reason for everything.

I took my lighter and clicked it on, lighting the whole thing on fire before letting it go as it reached my fingertips. It  crumbled into ashes.

"As promised, I won't say anything about Greyson. But if anything happens to me, I'll spill everything."

Roy nodded, but he didn't leave. He looked like he had more to say.

"It's not that bad, you know. What we're doing. I mean, was it all that bad? You were taken care of, right? We played our part, you're the one that ran off before the end of your term!"

I raised my brow. "None of you had any intentions of following the rules of the contract. Don't you dare put this on me. After all, why would Greyson have to fake his death? He stayed, didn't he?"

There was a moment of silence before I scoffed. "Just go. I don't want to see your face ever again."

He turned, and after a minute of contemplating, he finally left.

I stood up, and stared down at my melted ice cream. I tossed it into the trash before grabbing my things and leaving the beach. The cool breeze ran through my hair, which tickled my face. I hadn't realized how long it had gotten. I sort of liked it. It felt different.

I took a deep breath of that salty sea air. Things just felt... Right. Well, almost. The contract was gone and I felt like I had enough leverage to maintain my freedom. And I was doing what I had always wanted to do. Venture out into the world. I'd get by like I usually did. Earning money with little odd jobs, and enjoying the little things in life.

But having no place to return to was also a bad feeling, like a drug. Once I got a taste of it, I didn't think I could survive without it.

Rome, Gloria, and Julian were my family.  A real one. But I didn't want them to suffer for my mistakes ever again.

All I could wish for, was their happiness. It was truly gutting, putting anyone else over me, and wondering if I'll ever be happy without them. But I guess, that's was love is. Sacrifice.

Besides, I doubt they wanted to ever even see me again. They were dragged into a problem I created. And I wouldn't have wanted to see me either.

I wiped my cheek, feeling tears stinging my eyes. It was hard to be optimistic when I missed them more than anything. But I had to move on.

.............

I looked up at the sky, noticing the sky turn a pretty blend of colors. Summer skies had a special place. It was the moment I realized my feelings for Rome. And I don't think I could ever see them any other way again.

I sighed and continued walking through the crowd of tourists, feeling the sense of nostalgia slowly fade.

"Co." A voice in the distance grabbed my attention.

I felt my breathing hitch.

Life has a weird way of playing with my emotions.

"Rome...." I whispered. He was standing 10 feet in front of me, like a ghost. I felt dumbfounded.

"I've been looking everywhere for you." His unusually soft voice echoed in my head.

"Let's go home. You and me. Mom and Julian are waiting." His hand reached out to me.

I paused.

"What if you get hurt? What if they find me?" I said so softly, I wasn't sure if he heard me.

The silence remained, the two of us simply standing in each other's presence. I was sure he was staring at me, but I didn't want to look up and catch his gaze. I'd break the second I did, and throw away everything I worked so hard to build.

"I'd be more hurt living without you. I don't care what happens to me, because without you, I'm already dead. I want to spend every day of my life with you. I love you. Please don't turn me away...."
His voice cracked, and felt my throat close up.

I sharply inhaled, and lifted my head to meet his eyes. "I love you too! So, so much! I don't want to live another day without you!" I confessed, my vision too blurry to make out his expression.

Suddenly, his arms were around me.

"I-I don't want anything to happen to you.... I love you too much..." I sobbed.

"You don't have to worry about me. I'll be by your side, and we can protect each other. You don't have to live a lonely life anymore because you're scared of being a burden. Cause you're not. You never were. And you never will be. So please, stay with us."

It was strange hearing something that made me so happy and unbearably sad at the same time. I bawled like a baby, clinging to him and forgetting the world around us even existed.

I loved him, more than anything. And I knew that would never change. I had everything I had ever wanted. A family, freedom, and someone that I loved as much as they loved me.

It was all worth it.