Chapter 26:

Sorry for the late updates. To be honest, I've been struggling with motivation, and had to really get into the mood to write. Thanks for reading and enjoy until the next part! 😁

______

"Calm?" Arc asked, patting me on my shoulder. I looked up at hime with mixed expression. I still had no idea what happened to him after David showed up and I ran away.

"Where were you?" I asked, gripping my shirt tightly.

There was a moment of silence before Greyson piped in. "Tell him." He almost demanded. "Tell us."

I raised a brow. "So you two knew each other prior?" Losing track of the original question.

Greyson nodded as he leaned back. "Arc helped Roy with my escape."

My eyes wandered back and forth. "You never said anything about that." I gave Arc a pointed look.

"I wasn't sure if it was safe for Greyson." He admitted. I nodded, understanding the feeling of paranoia all too well, but it still bothered me a tad.

"I need to get back to Rome and Julian. They could be in trouble!" My mind returned to the original topic.

"Who?" Arc gave me a puzzled look.

I was already standing and reaching for the door. "My family! Who knows what's going on right now?! I need to go!"

"Cody, wait.... I don't think they'll do anything to your family. If anything, they would use them to draw you out, but I doubt any harm will actually happen. It's how these guys work." Arc tried explaining.

I felt his hand grasp my arm but I pulled it away harshly. "How do you know that? They broke into our home! Who knows what else Cain will do?!"

"Just wait it out!" Greyson's unusually loud voice randomly spoke up.

I glared at him. "Why? You're at risk too! With me being here."

"Because! If you get caught again, you can kiss everything you've gained up until now goodbye! Your family, your home, and your freedom! Just... Wait."

I was starting to see where he was coming from, but I was left confused. "Why do you care so much about what happens to me? We don't know each other at all."

"Maybe, but I don't want you to be another victim of theirs! You've gotten far too lucky and I don't want to see you get so far only to lose it all. Just listen to me, okay? You should only be looking out for yourself in this case."

I gawked at him, still lost. I couldn't help but feel there was some hidden motive. He didn't really care about me. I bet he was worried that I would say something about him.

"Screw you guys. I don't care what happens to me anymore if my family isn't there with me."

I reached for the door knob before pausing. "Oh yeah... You never answered my question. Where were you when David came by the apartment?"

Arc raised his head. "I was with Roy. Asking him for help." He answered.

A familiar guilty feeling lurked in my stomach. I looked away before reaching for the door knob again. "Please don't concern yourselves. Both of you. I appreciate all you've done for me up until now, but don't talk to me, don't look for me, and don't even think about me. Because after I find my family, I'm going to forget any of this ever happened, and I'm going to live my life like a normal person."

"Cody-"

I closed the door behind me.

I had the overwhelming urge to turn around and pour my heart out to the both of them, to admit how scared and hurt I was, to rely on them when I felt small and helpless. But truth be told, I finally felt free enough to simply walk away. I was responsible for my own problems. I was dumb enough to fall for Cain's traps, and I needed to be the one to solve my own problems.

I couldn't contain myself, and I rushed over to the same small neighborhood that I had been living for the small while.

I peered around, not seeing any cars besides Gloria's.

I stood at the door and waited. I wasn't sure if there was anyone inside or not. If Cain was still here, or even Julian. If Cain was inside, I would never see my family again and live in the confines of some rape club. But if Julian and his mother and brother were inside, I would bet good money they would cut off all ties with me after seeing what baggage I had on me.

I shuddered as a cold breeze brushed up against me. This egged me on, and I found myself reaching for the door handle.

I opened the door, grimacing at the once familiar creak that welcomed me home when I got back from work.

I stared at the empty kitchen, and walked through the dull living room. I checked each and every bedroom, hoping someone would be there, waiting for my arrival.

I choked back tears as I realized the worst case scenario had come true.

They left me. They didn't care. This was my punishment for running like the coward that I was. I fell to my knees and buried my face into my hands.

Even though I told myself to quit being a baby, I felt a bitterness that I couldn't control. I was like a flesh-eating monster that made my whole body ache.

I didn't feel like stopping myself from crying. I needed the pity, especially from myself.

I stood up and walked out of the house, my tear stained cheeks especially cold as I began to walk.

I walked and walked without knowing where I was going or where I would end up. It didn't matter. Maybe I would find new meaning, and maybe I would find another family. One that I could ruin all over again.

_____

"What did Roy even say?" Greyson asked, leaning against the door and chewing on his thumbnail.

"He said he couldn't help. He didn't want anything to lead back to you. You know how he is. Always covering his tracks."

Greyson nodded understandingly. "I just feel...so hurt for him. I should know. I've walked in those shoes."

Arc rolled his eyes. "Please. It's not the same. For one, you begged to join. Cody has his hands tied. Secondly, your brother was there to help you. His brother is not on his side."

Greyson pursed his lips. "You act like everything I went through was easy. It was hard. I don't want to hear you comparing our stories."

Arc simply avoided eye contact. "Why are you like this? Ever since we were small, you would have these random mood swings." Greyson chewed him out before crossing his arms.

"And don't forget, you were the one that started this whole thing."