Chapter 15:

I'm going to be super honest. I've always been afraid of water. Like a cat, almost. Maybe it was because the traumatizing time I fell into a river when I was younger, and had only survived due to a passerby.

To this day, I can't handle anything more than a bath. So I'll try to explain how hard I fell when I slipped in the shower. This is just a theory, but everything hurts 10x worse when water is involved.

And here I was, naked and confused as some random person walks in on me showering.

As I sat on the tile floor, groaning in pain as water continued to pour down my face, I barely even glanced at the figure, too busy dealing with, not only the pain from the fall, but now the conditioner that had somehow gotten into my poor, sensitive eyes.

A hand handed me a towel and I took it, trying to get up despite how dizzy I was. The figure helped me out by grabbing my hand and wrapping it around their shoulder.

I rubbed my eyes, feeling the burn from the conditioner worsen.

"W-who's there?"

"It's Peter...."

I almost died from embarrassment.

"Thanks but I've got it under control now!"

I waited till he left to cringe to myself.

I grumbled to myself as I finished up and hopped out of the shower, scrubbing myself with the towel to dry.

I hummed to myself as I examined myself in the mirror. Pretty good, all things considered.

Except.... My hair was getting longer. To the point that I started thinking about time. I hadn't quite realized how long I've been away from home....

I felt my eyes sting, aware that tears had begin to form.

I was feeling homesick.

I had been so caught up in everything I was beginning to realize how badly I wished everything would just... Stop.

I made so many mistakes, though. I could never go back.

I heard a subtle knock and I looked up, caught off guard. I wiped away the tears and attempted to disguise my shaking voice.

"Who's there?"

"It's Arc. You done already? We're gonna eat!"

I paused, thinking of my stomach. I didn't feel hungry, but I could eat.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a sec."

"Good!"

I rolled my eyes at his pushy attitude and put on my clothes, happy that new and clean ones were prepared. Though, they were baggy... But I always did prefer clothes like that.

I opened the door and let the cool air hit me. I walked out and joined the three, who seemed to be caught up in a strange debate.

"I'm just saying, coleslaw isn't good. Disgusting, in fact." Arc pointed out, earning a scoff from Peter.

"You've never had good coleslaw, that's why. It's a nice side dish."

I looked at the table, seeing no coleslaw, and wondered why they were even talking about it.

"It's not good, no matter what."

Peter looked annoyed, but refused to argue any longer, and turned his attention to me.

"We weren't sure what you liked, so we just kinda... Threw something together."

I noticed the food's scent from the bathroom. It smelled amazing.

"Nah, it looks great!" I took a bite of the mashed potatoes, feeling a little tinge of pain from my heart.

I looked at the chicken and took a bite, promptly swallowing.

I ate the side of corn, ignoring the lingering ache, until I realized how silent it was.

I looked up, noticing that everyone was staring in my directing.

"What's up?" I asked, clearing my throat.

Arc hesitated before shrugging. "Your face... I don't know, you look like you're about to cry."

"Hmm? My face? Oh... Haha...."

I rubbed the back of my neck before sighing.

"I.... Just wanna be home. Away from all this. Far... Away. I want to..."

My vision became blurry as I felt tears roll down my cheeks.

"I wanna go home! I want to live my life in peace! I regret everything! I wish I never...."

I hung my head, trying not to sniffle as much. I stood up. "I tired of worrying about all this... I'm sorry I even imposed like this. I should just... Keep running and never look back."

Arc stood up. "No. They'll find you that way. Don't worry! I'll find a way to end this, okay? I'll get you far away from this town, this, this country! If that's what you want!"

I felt my tears stop. My expression eased as I felt my heart swell.

I felt the urge to smile, but held it down, resulting in some strange half smile.

"I-Im sorry.... For my outburst."

A laugh came from Laura, who seemed a little sad from the expression on her face.

"Funny enough, minutes ago they were arguing about coleslaw."

I grinned, wiping away the evidence of my outburst.

"I mean, coleslaw can be good...." I mumbled, earning 3 different reactions.

1 encouraging shout from Peter, and 2 annoyed protests from Laura and Arc, who were prepared to argue.

"Here we go again." Peter muttered, looking up and glaring at Arc, who returned his chaotic grin.

Laura simply smiled as she ate, her eyes flickering to each one.

I simply sat there, thinking. I... Was really lucky I met Arc. Really lucky that he took pity on me. Really lucky he cared for me.

He had risked so much for me.

I glanced at him, a little speechless.

He could get me far from this mess. All I needed to do was trust him.

So why can't I?

A/N:
Again sorry for the long wait! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy! :)