Chapter 3

When the well of tears in my eyes dried up entirely, I went back inside of my home. My family was already sitting around the table eating the lovely meal I had prepared. It didn't feel so lovely now, since I had really made that meal for Fabian.

'Get it together,' I thought in my head. 'You don't need Fabian.'

With that singular though glued into my head, I pasted a calm look on my face and headed into the kitchen. As soon as I reached the table, my family looked up at me with sad eyes. My mother had tear stains on her cheeks and I'm sure I looked like her reflection when she asked if I was alright.

"I'm okay," I lied.

Then, Niko came and wrapped me up in his arms. I was stiff for a moment, but then returned the gesture. The touch from him that I hadn't felt in a long time was comforting, like a flickering candle flame licking my body and surrounding me in a yearning warmth. I sunk deeper into Niko's hard chest.

It wasn't fair. Was I so consumed with Fabian and the life I envisioned for us together that I never noticed how much I had drifted from my own family? I felt guilt spread through my veins, surging through my body until it consumed me.

I looked up at Niko and he had tears in his eyes. I wiped the falling tears away with my thumb and smiled up at him. He smiled back and whispered in my ear.

"I was so worried about you Sol."

 I contained my tears and stood on my tip-toes so I could reach his ear.

"I was worried about you too, Niko. But, you don't need to worry about me. I'm alright."

With that, we pulled apart and joined our parents at the dinner table. We all ate in silence. I had a strong feeling that Mrs. Wolk had wanted to stay as far away from my family as Fabian wanted to stay away from me.

Everyone dismissed themselves quietly and parted for bed, until it was just me. I thought about everything that had happened in the past few hours. There I was, so desperately in love with a pretender, someone who played a game with my emotions, someone who felt that I was selfish and unloveable beyond a shadow of a doubt. His mother even said he was going to propose to someone soon. Well, that girl would obviously be very lucky, and that girl wasn't me. But as I sit there thinking about everything, my fingers drumming against the wooden table, I realized that I didn't want Fabian if he didn't want me. I control how I feel, and surely I could be done with him if I put some effort in it. I knew his family relied on us, and eventually they'd be back. I didn't know when, but if that ever did happen, well, I wouldn't be here. At least, if my plan worked, I wouldn't be in Kent much longer. 

****

My dad came back into the kitchen as I was rinsing the dishes.

"Hey cupcake," he said as he placed a kiss on my forehead and started helping me with the dishes.

"Hey Dad," I smiled up at him.

Like Niko, my dad was taller than me. He and Niko were both about six feet tall, while I was only five feet and seven inches. Staring into my dad's blue eyes that were many shades darker then mine, I remembered when he gave me the nickname cupcake.

When I was younger, I had a huge obsession with sweets and all things sugary. One night on the Capital Report, Queen America told Illéa how to make the most amazing cupcakes ever. The next day, my mother and I baked a batch; I'm not exaggerating when I say I ate every cupcake.

I laugh silently at the memory and realized how much I would miss my family if I go through with my plans and they came to fruition. I then remembered what my mom was telling this afternoon about filling out the Selection form.

The funny thing about the upcoming Selection is that there would be 70 girls chosen to go to the palace instead of thirty-five. Why is that you may ask? Well, the twin Princes needed 35 girls each, according to the king and queen. Obviously, 35 wasn't enough women for two boys.

Two girls were to be chosen from each province, and it increased each girl's chance of becoming a princess. Once the 70 girls are selected, they can try to compete for either of the Princes' affection. Once you were in, it didn't matter which Prince you went after, or so it is implied.

I noticed my dad staring at me and that was when I realized that I had stooped washing the dishes. I turned back to my work and hurriedly finished washing the dishes. Wiping my hands on a rag, I turned to my father.

"What are your opinions about the Selection?'" I blurted out before my mind could tell my mouth what to do. He looked at me surprised. He knew I didn't really want to have anything to do with the Selection, and he knew I had a close bond with Fabian; just not how close. However, I wanted to hear his opinion about the Selection.

"Honestly," he paused and looked down at me. "It's a great opportunity for an ordinary girl to fall in love and become a princess. It could be pretty romantic for a girl who is looking for love. Even with the constant rebel attacks on the palace and the strong chance for heartbreak, it could be a great experience for you if you actually tried Sol." He gave me a small smile and walked away to his room.

I stood there in shock and my mouth formed an 'O'. I asked for his opinion about the Selection, but I didn't realize he actually knew I was asking if I should sign up or not.

I shook my thoughts from my head and trudged up to my room. After I climbed into my lumpy bed, I pulled out a book I snuck out of my parents room on more than one occasion. It was a book of fairytales that nobody, besides me, have heard about.

The outside front and back covers of the book were covered in peeling brown leather. Faint gold lettering danced up and down them and wrote out the title: Fairytales. The spine was worn and it had a big, red 'X' in the center of it.

I opened the book and start to read a tale about a girl named Snow White and how she lived with an Evil Queen. Eventually I heard the big clock in the middle of town go off, signaling me that it was curfew and I needed to go to sleep.

I gently placed the book on my nightstand. I turned over and close my eyes. Tomorrow could possibly change my life forever.