Chapter 22

"Knock knock." said a man from outside my door before he peeked in. Black hair fell into his green eyes a wicked smile rested on his face. 

"Hey Asher." I smiled and invited him inside.

 Over the course of this past week, Asher and I have become the best of friends. He tries to see me every day; either during guard rotations or on a day off. I have to say that I enjoy his company, which is something I never thought I would ever think last week. 

We had worked our differences and talked about our lives, family, and things we liked to do. Asher was a hardworking person and always needed to be a hero; apparently which is exactly like his father, Aspen. I had yet to meet the man, but I knew that I would one day; especially if I were to stay at the palace for a while. 

"What goes on, Goldie Locks?" Asher asked and collapsed down on a chair as I giggled at his nickname for me.

 Asher had told me that he had never seen anyone with my hair color before; and that it looked similar to the princes' and king's hair, but slightly lighter. He thought it looked like gold, which means my hair is true to its color, and since has been calling me Goldie Locks. 

"Not much Leger. How's guarding?" I smirked and wrapped my arms around myself. 

"Same old, same old. Rather boring really. But, at least you are here to keep me company." 

I beamed and Asher smiled. 

"So, did you--"

 "No Asher, I didn't admit that I felt anything for Matthew because I'm not sure if I do." I said, although it was only a half truth. 

I didn't know where Matthew and I stood, where we were; but I knew for certain that I cared for him in a way that was greater than friendship. Daniel, well, him I wasn't really sure about either. I feel that he is so secretive, and won't let me in unless I promise myself to him in the end. I don't want to feel chained, but maybe I am misjudging him. 

"Earth to Sol." Asher said and snapped his fingers in front of my blinking eyes. 

"Sorry." I laughed it off and came back to reality. "Did you say something?" 

"No"

 It was at that moment that I realized just then how close he was to me. I could see hunter green rings wrapping around the emerald color of his eyes and they sparkled with a secret. I cleared my throat and stood tall. 

"Alright then." I said and walked towards the balcony. 

I pushed the doors open and beckoned for Asher to follow me out. He complied and we went outside so I could enjoy the air. As I gazed over the railing, I noticed five figures in the garden; two males and three females. I couldn't read there lips, but only moments later, I heard wails and weeping.

 I felt Asher appear beside me and instantly flung my arms around him; his body stiffened. Tears started to come out of my own eyes now and Asher just looked down at me; not that I could see him do that though, on account of me shoving my face into his uniform. 

"Sol," Asher said quietly and I felt a tentative arm wrap across my shoulders and back, "What's wrong?" Confusion ever present in his voice.

 I sniffled and moved my head away from his uniform,looked up at him, and saw his eyes were clouded with worry.

 "Oh, I'm sorry." I said and pulled away from Asher.  As I turned my  back towards him; his arm fell back down to his side.

"It's just that I hate hearing all those girls so saddened by this. This competition, this process, this whatever you may call it. The Selection destroy's so many people's hearts. I feel like some of the girls who have already left deserve to be here more than I do, and yet they're the ones who packed their bags and left with nothing but jewelry and a broken heart."