Chapter 34

A/N: Warning. Long, intense chapter ahead. Read ahead at your own risk :D

I heard the rat-tat-tat on my door as Matthew's hand collided with my door, the knocks sharp and crisp. 

"Come in." I shouted as I tied my robe tighter around my waist. 

Having been in my room for about forty minutes now, I decided that I needed to get out of my evening gown; and bathe. Cassia had run me a bath while Juliana helped me undress myself properly, so I didn't stain the ball gown with any of my make up. And Starlet, she sat in the corner, like majority of the time that I see her, and sewed. I figured that it was another dress, but I could never be sure. Starlet was close to a mystery to me. 

After Cassia ran the bath, I got in and dismissed my maids. They were disappointed, mainly Juliana, but they would have to bathe me in the morning anyway. This bath was just so I could feel refreshed. Nothing personal... towards them anyway. So when Matthew opened my door to see me in a bath robe with sopping wet hair and no make up on, he seemed a little surprised. More then a little actually; he jumped back in surprise and hit the door with his back. It slammed shut by his force. 

"You're... Sol...you...uh" Matthew stammered and I laughed. Running towards him, I incased him in a huge bear hug. He chuckled,

 "I'm pretty sure I'm the one who should be giving you a hug like this, am I wrong my dear." Snorting, I dropped my arms and stepped away. 

"I'm not your dear," I said, then giggled, "but I'm still glad you came tonight." 

"Of course." Matthew said and stepped closer to me, slowly wrapping his arms around my body; sliding past my waist and resting on the small of my back. Seeing as there was no other option, my hands came to rest on the spot just behind his neck. I could feel his pulse thrumming beneath my fingertips. 

"I wouldn't miss the chance to see you for the world." 

Giggling, I tipped my head up. Matthew seemed to realize what I was doing, what I wanted. And obviously, what he wanted as well. Leaning down, Matthew's lips brushed against mine in the faintest whisper of a kiss. It was so soft and fragile, like a butterfly, that I had to really try and savor the moment while it lasted. It wasn't long. Matthew and I both pulled away at the same time, smiling like a new couple sharing their first kiss. Though we weren't sharing our first kiss, weren't we still a new couple? 

"Why are you smiling like that, my dear?" Matthew said and I rolled my eyes with a smile still plastered onto my face. 

"I'm still not your dear, as I said not even a minute ago. And the reason I am smiling is just because I realized that I am so lucky to have you," I replied and I felt Matthew's pulse started to thrum underneath my fingertips. He stared down at me, waiting to hear the end of what I had to say; wanting to hear what I had to say about him. " I never thought I could be this happy." 

This time, it was Matthew who pushed his head slightly closer to mine, who beckoned for something with his eyes. I blinked once and nodded. Matthew closed the small gap between us by pressing his lips onto mine in a sweet and savory kiss. He cradled the small of my back gingerly, his hands playing with the ends of my hair. Tilting my head slightly to the right, I pressed deeper into the kiss; hearing Matthew moan slightly. A ghost of a smile formed on my face as Matthew kissed me back with the same intensity in which I was kissing him; it wasn't much, but deeper than we had ever kissed before. After a minute of this, I slowly pulled away. However, Matthew rested his forehead against mine. 

"Why did you pull away Sol?" he whispered, sending chills throughout my whole body. I stepped back and smiled like a child who was caught doing something they shouldn't be. It was sly, yet innocent.