Chapter 41

Fabian had switched his microphone on and shook Gavril's hand before facing the camera square on. I could hear millions of girls nationwide swooning over him, just as my mom had oddly done for Gavril. 

"Good evening Illéa." Fabian started, his voice rich and buttery as he spoke into the microphone. "I just wanted to say that I am so appreciative for this opportunity that has been presented to me. I thank you, Gavril, for choosing me; and I thank Illéa for giving me the chance to see what I can do. I might have grown up in a small neighborhood in Kent, not gaining many social experiences, however, I do know love and I know how to entertain; I was born a Five. I was a singer." Fabian pulled the microphone slightly farther away from his mouth and turned his head to face all of the Pre-Elite. 

"Some of you, hopefully all of you, at least know me as Officer Wolk," he said to us, looking everyone in the eye. He saved me for last, and that's where he chose to focus his attention; let his eyes linger. "But I'm honored that I will be getting the opportunity to get to know you all better. I promise that I will try my best to serve you all well on Reports. You won't be made fun of..." Fabian paused and bit his lip, keeping his boyish grin concealed. He turned back to the camera and let the grin loose. "At least, not too badly anyway." 

Gavril chuckled hardily, slapping his knees in appreciation. Daniel who was sitting with his arms crossed over his chest in a nonchalant manor, chuckled in response. At that moment, Matthew sat straight up and clutched his head in his hand. The medic backed up and stood to leave, meaning Clara and Amber would have to lift Matthew up off of the floor and into his chair.

 "So, you know about love?" I heard Gavril ask as I observed the twin princesses lifting their older brother up. Amber didn't seem to enjoy it, but she wasn't whining like Clara was. "Mind filling us in a little. What was she like?" 

Matthew's eyes fluttered again and Amber slapped his face once. The noise caught both Gavril's and Fabian's attention, making them incline their heads to the trio. 

"Are the Schreave siblings arguing back there?" Fabian teased lightly, sounding much like something Gavril would have said if a situation like this occurred. Clara chuckled lightly as she lifted her skirts and sat down. Amber only shook her head. Matthew, however, was shooting daggers at Fabian. 

"No problem here, Sir Fabian Wolk," Matthew said, letting his authoritative, acting figure and tone overtake him before something bad happened. "But that would be Prince Matthew to you." Fabian chuckled and nodded once. 

"Of course, Prince Matthew." Fabian said as his head swiveled back to the camera. Daniel was laughing beside Matthew, and Matthew's scowl shifted from Fabian's back to his twin brother's face. 

"While my love life may be fun to talk about Gavril, there is no time for that here tonight. Perhaps some other time." Fabian said, appalling me at how much he was sounding like Gavril at the moment. Never before had I heard him like this, a serious yet cocky and teasingly funny gentleman. This was not the Fabian I knew at all. 

"An interview later on this week perhaps?" Gavril asked and Fabian chuckled. 

"If you plan it out, I don't see why not." he responded with a small chuckle at the end of his sentence. Without another exchange of words, Gavril faced front and looked into the camera, as if it had a soul and he was reading it. 

"And now, here is King Maxon with news on abolishing the caste system."

*****************************************************************************************************