Chapter 15

"Was what Prince Shane had to talk to you about important?" Juliana asked, with Starlet right beside her.

Cassia was standing with her ams folded in the corner of my room. I knew she was still heated from our earlier argument, so I didn't protest when she didn't join the discussion.

"Not really." I said trying to avoid the subject.

************

After Shane and I had left his parents, we were silent on the way back to my room. Shane had known that I had to finish getting ready, so we were walking at a slightly quickened pace.  

"So" I started, trying to disband the silence. "What was the real reason you needed to see me Prince Shane."

He didn't respond and kept looking straight in front of him. I clucked my tongue and started to walk ahead of him until he stopped completely. I turned around to see what had stopped him.

"Are you alright, Your Highness?" I asked and Shane's expression grew more despair. He looked up at me with sad grey eyes.

"You used to call me Shane."  

I rolled my eyes and walked over to him. "Okay, first off, I only met you yesterday. You are making it seem as if I have known you for years Shane. Second, what's up with you?" I asked casually.  He sighed and started to walk with me again.

"It's just, I really did want to show you something." He sulked and was now dragging his feet behind me.

"Well, what was it?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I can't show you now. It was supposed to be a surprise, but it is located in the west wing. You know, the newer wing of the palace. Anyway, I didn't want to go through the Palace in fear that Matt or Danny would catch us."

"Matt and Danny?" I asked and Shane rolled his eyes.

"You're potential future husbands." He clarified and I felt stupid for not figuring this out sooner.

"But instead, we ran into my parents! They probably aren't happy they caught me running around with one of the selected. Matt and Danny will probably find out and be very upset. And you. You must hate me now. I must've ruined your chances." He moaned and I chuckled at his despair, ignoring his statement of impending doom.

"Shane, I couldn't hate you, even if what your idea was not the brightest," I said and he finally smiled. "I mean, you are correct, your brothers are my suitors, so this was not the best idea. But it's alright, truly."

Shane had a mischievous gleam in his eye as he neared me, and I had a bad feeling in my stomach.

"Don't you dare." I playfully growled but it was too late.

In one swift motion, Shane had swept me off of my feet and threw me over his shoulder once again.

"Seriously!" I shouted as he ran back to my room. He just laughed the whole way there and put me down right outside my door.

************

"I have to admit Miss, that does sound pretty funny." Starlet said shyly and I smiled over at her.

"I'm glad someone thinks so." I replied and stood up to prepare myself for dinner.

With my run in with the King and Queen, I wanted to be prepared to face them. And, I didn't want to face Prince Matthew, Prince Daniel, or Prince Shane. I felt guilty for spending time with Shane; I wasn't here to be his playmate. I was here for Prince Matthew and Prince Daniel.

"No more," I told myself and started to head towards the door.

Just as I walked into the hall, I saw two figures in the distance. They were whispering softly; I stepped closer to try and hear what they were saying. The figures were in the shadows, so I could't see either of their features, but as I neared I could tell one was a male and the other was a female.