Chapter 16

My eyes slowly opened and my head felt groggy. I slowly sat up and realized that the surface underneath me was not warm or comfy, but cold. When my vision adjusted, I saw the beautiful marble flooring of the palace instead of my comfortable bed. Confusion fluttered over me as I blinked and rubbed my eyes with the backs of my hands.

An ear piercing shout sounded through the hall and my head snapped in the direction. I scrambled to raise to my feet; my bubblegum pink nightgown from last night brushing lightly up against my ankles. I picked up pieces of the sheer cloth and started to run through the halls and listened as the screaming got louder and louder. My heart beat erratically in my chest when I finally discovered where the scream was coming from.  

After I turned one more corner, I found a girl laying on the ground curled into a ball. She had golden blonde hair that was wrapped in a beautiful curled side bun with a few tendrils that hung down in small curls; framing her face. Her side part was partially hidden by her fingers; her hands trying to conceal her face. She was wearing a beautiful ruby red evening gown with tulle exploding from the waist in every direction and tumbled to the floor.

I started to run over to see if she was alright. Though I felt strange as I approached her, I slowed down and kneeled beside the sobbing girl; then placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. She suppressed her sobs and turned her head to face me. I gasped.

I was met with the most piercing blue eyes I had ever seen. Even though her cheeks were flushed from tears, this girl was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She looked startled when she saw me, even more so when I offered her my hand. Hesitantly, she placed her small hand into mine and I pulled her up. Our hands matched exactly in size. She sniffled a bunch and brushed away any remaining tears with the side of her index finger.

I felt a pang of heart brake for this girl that I didn't even know; maybe because she felt eerily familiar.

I was about to talk to her, but I felt something graze my leg. Looking down, I was aghast when I saw that my nightgown had vanished. In its place was a pair of cream colored pants. Then, I noticed my arms were hidden underneath a red suit jacket. My head began to pound and I reached up to massage my temples, but I found something was missing. After a few seconds of feeling the space around my head, I felt a brush of cool air against the back of my neck. I realized that my hair had also magically disappeared and was now cropped short, just like Prince Matthew's.

I looked back down at the girl, not realizing that I grew taller than her in a matter of seconds. I reached for her hand with a strange feeling of longing, but just as my hands, which used to be the same size as hers but were now a lot bigger, grasped hers, she yanked it away.

"Don't even think about it." The girl said icily, her voice slightly hoarse.

She narrowed her eyes at me and I became confused.  

"What did I do?" I asked and my eyes widened when I heard my voice. It was deeper now, though sexy and buttery. The girl scoffed and stared me down.

"Like you don't know Matthew." She said and a blaring alarm sounded behind me.

That's when the scene started to change before my eyes.

I blinked at the sight of the shining sun, but then realized it shined through a large glass window. I peered outside and saw a beautiful garden below. It looked vaguely familiar, and when I looked all the way to the right, I noticed a small fountain and a bench in the distance. Of course! I was in the newer western wing.

I allowed myself to relax, but that sense of calmness faded quickly when a familiar voice called out my name.

"I'm shocked you followed me in here." I said darkly and I almost clamped my hand to my mouth.