Chapter 7

This has definitely been the longest day of my entire life.

It was now five minutes before curfew and I still wasn't tired. As I sat in bed, I began to wonder how the Selection would affect and change my life. There were so many questions I had that normal people couldn't answer.

An idea clicked in my head, and I instantly thought of something that may have the answers to these questions.

Rolling over towards my nightstand, I grabbed the book of fairytales off of it. I flipped through the pages to read a story I haven't read yet; it was called Cinderella.

I was completely in awe by the story, and I couldn't tear my eyes away when the clock sounded indicating it was curfew once again. I ignored the clock and continued to read.

Cinderella lived with her step-mother and step-sisters. That small part of the story had me puzzled. What was a step-mother and step-sister? Nobody in all of Illéa had any of those, at least, I don't think they do. 

Page after page was filled with amazing detail, and I felt complete when I reached the last page; where Cinderella and her Prince Charming get married. Cinderella got a happily ending.

Whenever I pictured my happy ending before, it was my father giving my hand to Fabian. Then Fabian would stare into my eyes and I could finally see how happy he was with me. We would've exchanged our vows, and Fabian finally would've expressed his love for me for the world to see. Then we would kiss and be a married couple. Children would come years later and we would be a very happy family, even if we didn't have a lot of money. The children would move away, but Fabian would still be there.

I shook my head irritatedly and sat up. Why would Fabian cloud my thoughts every moment of every day? It wasn't like he even cared for me anyway. He broke my heart, and I didn't know if it could be mended ever again. I needed to stop thinking about him, and I knew exactly how to do it.

Although I was trying to forget him, Fabian's advice to stop thinking about something was to write a song about it. I pushed my quilt to the side of my bed and stood up.

I walked over to my desk which had a pencil and a sheet of paper laying on top of it. Smiling, I pulled back the chair and sat down. Once comfortable, I picked up the pencil and began to write my thoughts and feelings down on paper.

The pencil moved rapidly, making the little letters appear before my eyes.

About an hour later, I drop the pencil back on the desk and blew on my paper to rid the pesky flakes of eraser. Fabian had been right about the song. Writing how I felt down did help a little.

I quickly shut my lamp off and walked back over to my bed. I plopped down on top of it and pulled the quilt back over me. I began to think about what was going to happen to my life once again, and the questions started to form in my head again.

I tried my best to remember Cinderella's story and use it to answer my questions, but every possible answer to my questions didn't seem to fit. I closed my eyes and breathed in and out, trying hard to fall asleep.

Although I felt that Cinderella and I had a bunch of similarities, there was one significant difference between her and I. Cinderella got her Happily Ever After. When will mine begin?

***

When I saw Fabian in a guard's uniform, I knew that I was dreaming. He had a shocked expression on his face, but I didn't want to look at him since I was still angry. I looked down at the floor instead and saw marble flooring. 

I couldn't see all the marble, however, because a silky looking rose pink dress stood in my way. The dress flew out from my hips to the floor, and I could feel the top part squeezing my chest. Actually it might have been my heart that felt tight from seeing Fabian. I stiffened.

"Are you alright, darling?" A beautiful yet masculine voice said from slightly above me. I gulped and looked at the mysterious man who was holding my arm with his hand. When I looked at his face though, it was all blurred. I couldn't see the details and I had no idea who he was. I was scared and I didn't know where I was or why was I wearing this stupid dress.

Suddenly my head started to spin and and the image blurred in front of me.

When the image became clear again, I was in a beautiful sky blue gown that opened up like a hydrangea. It was beautiful, and I turned toward the mirror to look at it. When I was done looking, my body started to walk away, but I didn't follow.

My 'spirit', I suppose, flew right behind my body to a huge pair of double doors. I heard myself take a deep breath and my body walked through the doors. I glanced down at my own floating body and realized that this part of me was wearing a t-shirt and night shorts; a pair of pajamas.

"You look divine, my dear," I heard that same masculine voice say and it actually sent shivers up my currently non-existing spine.

"Why thank you. You don't clean up bad yourself, ----" I heard myself speaking, but I didn't know who I was talking too.

I desperately wanted to find out, so I poked my head through the crack of the door. But before I could identify the young man, the image started to blur again.

My eyes shot open and I screamed like I never had before. I was panting and my breathing was definitely off. I could feel cold sweat drip of my face and neck and I let out a long sigh.

"It was all a dream," I whispered to myself as my dad rushed through my door.

"Are you alright, Cupcake?" Dad asked with concern.

"I'm okay dad. Just bad dreams," I assured him and flopped back down on my side facing away from the door and him.

'Okay now lets try this again,' I thought to myself and closed my eyes.

Hopefully this time, my sleep wouldn't be interrupted, because if I thought today was tiring, tomorrow will be a nightmare on its own.

A/N

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if you all are liking this story so far. I have a lot of ideas that I am planning on using, but I would love to know if you all think this is turning out alright.

Love you lots!!!