Chapter 39

The room was silent as my maids readied me for yet another Report. My hair was curled into tight ringlets and thrown up into a bun at the crown head. Small curls peaked out of the bun and tendrils twirled from my side part framed my face. Starlet painted my lips with a cherry red gloss and a nude shade of eyeshadow with a hint of sparkles coated my eyelids. Juliana helped Starlet as she switched out my earrings for ruby red posts by placing a thin crystal necklace with a teardrop shaped ruby around my neck. 

Next came the corsage. I hadn't worn one since my first night in the Selection, and to be honest with myself, I was happy to see that I would be wearing one again tonight. The single corsage reminded of how far I have come in this competition, how much I've changed for the better. 

The corsage was adorned with three large red roses. They were all pressing against one another in a triangular-like shape. Surrounding them were a few small green leaves and baby's breath. Red ribbon tied the whole concoction together, and it soon encircled my left wrist. Looking up at both Juliana and Starlet in the mirror, I smiled a gentle, closed lip smile. 

"Thank you." I said softly and they both bowed their heads. 

From the mirror, I could see Cassia sitting on my bed, still struggling to open the garment bag. She had been trying to get the zipper to unzip for about forty minutes now; it had gotten stuck after the three of them ran into Silvia.

 "Damn zipper." I heard her curse under her breath and watched as she pulled harder. She tugged and tugged until, finally, the zipper popped off; the bag still sealed shut. Cassia cursed aloud and threw the bag to the floor. That was when I got up from the chair I was seated in and made my way over to Cassia. 

"Miss," Starlet said in a shaky tone. "I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would strongly suggest not bothering Cassia right now." Starlet looked so meek that all I could do in that moment was give an appreciative smile. 

"Thank you for caring Starlet," I said and cast my eyes to Cassia, who was pounding her fists against the garment bag. After a few seconds, I looked back at Starlet. "But I think Cassia needs someone to talk with right now." Juliana stared back and forth between the two of us, her big brown eyes not really sure where to look. 

Holding my white robe tighter against my body, I walked barefoot across my room and placed a gentle hand on Cassia's raised shoulder. Her head whipped around to face me. Her eyes were wild and her hair was a mess, falling out of the cap. I looked away from her crazed eyes and up at her fisted hand floating in mid-air. Smiling softly, I reached for it and held it between both of my hands. Bending her arm closer to her, I knelt down beside Cassia and placed her hand into her lap. I then moved behind Cassia and sat back on my heels, removing her white cap in the process. Cassia's chocolate brown hair tumbled down to her waist, surprising me to see how long it was. 

"You know Cassia," I said in a gentle voice. "You have very beautiful hair." She said nothing, just sat still in front of me while breathing slightly heavily. 

"Starlet." I called and Starlet was beside me in seconds.

 "Yes ma'am." I giggled lightly and grabbed her hands with mine. "I don't know how many times I'm going to have to tell you this. Call me Sol." 

"Sorry to interrupt," Cassia spoke up from in front of me. "But we are not allowed to speak so loosely as first name basis with you my Lady." I giggled again.

 "Fine, then I guess Lady Sol will do." I could feel Cassia's smirk radiating off of her and onto me.

 "That'll definitely not break the rules" She said and I turned my attention back to Starlet. For the first time, she wore a confident-like smile on her pale face.