Chapter 6

"This is it!" mom squealed with excitement. About two weeks had passed by since I filled out my Selection form and took my picture. It was now Friday again, and the Report would be on in five minutes. Since both my family and I agreed we never wanted another Report to go like the one two weeks ago did, we didn't invite the Wolk's over and we changed up the scene. Instead of dinner waiting for us on the table during the Report, there was a large tray of cupcakes surrounding the four of us on the floor. None of us sat in a chair, and for my sake there were boxes among boxes of tissues. 

'At least my family cares about my well-being ,' I thought, desperately trying to not let my mind wander to Fabian again. I was done loving him; so why did I still feel like I was fighting a war in my mind to let him go?

My thoughts were broken up when the Illéa National Anthem blared through our television speakers. I always loved our anthem. Sometimes when I was alone, I would hum the melody of it. 

My mother placed her wrinkled palm on top of my hand, and Niko wrapped a protective arm around my shoulder. We've become a lot closer these past weeks. I've even met his girlfriend, Terry. In an odd way, she reminded me of Queen America. Terry had dull red hair, but lively dark blue eyes. Even though the Queen's hair was fiery, and her eyes were a light shade of blue, I still saw a slight similarity in looks.

Terry was also very comical, and I could see why Niko loved her so much. I was happy for the cute couple. 

When the anthem died down, my whole family leaned in closer to the television. The selected Daughters of  Illéa would be called out tonight, and my family couldn't wait. We watched Gavril Fadaye stroll on to the stage with a grin on his wrinkling face. 

"Good evening Illéa." Gavril spoke and mom sighed. She had always thought Gavril was attractive, especially when he was younger, and that seriously disgusted me. He must be, like, a gazillion years old by now!

I knew Niko agreed with me when he moved me and himself away from mom. She couldn't help but laugh. 

"Tonight," Gavril started, " We will reveal the chosen Daughters of Illéa, who will compete for either the hand of our beloved Prince Matthew or Prince Daniel. Now my Queen, do you have any advice for these young women?"

Gavril turned to Queen America and she smiled her beautiful smile. She was so gracious and beautiful, that if I somehow won the Selection, I knew I would never be as good of a Queen as her. It's funny. According to mom, she wasn't anything like a Queen during King Maxon's selection.

"Well Gavril, I quite simply say this. Play safe. Just like some of you young ladies out there, my sons are both nervous for finding love." 

Queen America looked at both of her sons who were both sitting to her right. They looked stiff in their chairs, and their faces were emotionless. The only thing visible were the frowns that marred their faces. Their identical honey blonde hair was combed perfectly into place while large golden crowns sat atop their heads. Their suits were crisp and perfect; nothing was out of place. Over the years, I have only come to find one significant difference between the two twins; Prince Daniel had brown eyes, whereas Prince Matthew had blue.

"How will they ever find love?" I accidentally blurted out loud, rudely. "They appear to have as much personality as a doorknob."

My father and mother glared at me, but Niko chuckled at my remark. The camera focused back on Queen America and she gave her final words of advice.

"Make wise choices young ladies, for one day this may be your life." She pointed to her crown and lightly chuckled. "Make sure a heart was meant for you and only you to break, and more than anything, just be yourself! I know it worked wonders for me."