Chapter 40

After thanking Juliana for bringing me to the Report room, I slowly crutched my way over toward Silvia. She was writing things down on a piece of paper attached to her clipboard, pausing only to look up at me for a second, then look back down. 

"You're early Lady Sol." She said in a nonchalant tone as she continued to scribble whatever information she was processing in her head down onto the paper that sat merely inches from her face. I gulped back my fears and stuck my chin out, lifting up my head. 

"Better early than late," I said in a confident tone. "Something that I've learned from you. And I look forward to learning more useful advice from you. Besides," I paused and looked down at my crutches, "These crutches make it nearly impossible to move around. I needed to leave early so I could be here on time." Silvia's eyes narrowed on the paper until, suddenly, she looked up at me with her dark gaze.

 "What caused for a change in heart?" she asked darkly and I shook my head.

 "I haven't changed my heart," I said. "But I have changed my attitude. I know that you only want to see me succeed, as you wanted to see in Queen Kriss when she was in King Maxon's Selection. A teacher, a guide, who wants to see her students succeed is more than I could ever ask for. I've never had that in my life before. I've only had my mother teach me things." With that, I smiled lightly, inclined my head toward her since I could not curtsy and made my way over toward the Report chairs that the Pre-Elite would be sitting in. 

About twenty minutes later, people slowly started to trickle into the room. First was Amber, shortly followed by Clara hot on her heels. Shane was five minutes after, about thirty seconds before Queen America and King Maxon. Then came Matthew hobbling along on his own set of crutches. CeCelia, Gemma, and Darling were right behind him, trying to start even the smallest of a conversation with him, but Matthew just ignored them. Scanning the room, his eyes landed on me and he smiled a closed mouth smile that melted hearts, stopped wars, and caused girls to swoon like it was their religion. He left the three Pre-Elite behind him in the dust and made his way to me. Smiling an open mouthed, teeth baring smile, Matthew sat beside me. Without hesitation, he put his hand on my gown covered leg and looked at my dress for a while. Finally, looking up at me, Matthew let out a low whistle. 

"Beautiful." He said in a quiet voice and picked up my hand. Gently placing a kiss on it, Matthew let it fall back down to my lap.

 "I would kiss you on the cheek, or more importantly really kiss you, but it's a very public setting and—" I just started giggling as Matthew shut up and cocked his head to the right. 

"What's so funny darling?" I shook my head while still laughing and placed my hands around his left hand, pulling it closer to me. 

"I can never tell if you don't like kissing me in public because you don't want to make the other girls jealous or mad, or if it's because you are a private person and this isn't in private." Matthew chuckled and grabbed one of my hands off of his with his free hand. With both of my hands in his, Matthew interlaced our fingers just inches above our laps. 

"Well, to be honest, it's because I am more of a private person," Matthew said, followed by a chuckle before speaking again. "But honestly, you look stunning my dear. Every time you look at me those eyes and that smile, I just..." Matthew's voice faded as he noticed me blushing severely. Chuckling while he stood up, lifting me up out of my seat with him. Matthew lightly placed a kiss on my blazing cheek and stepped back. 

"Like I've said plenty of times before," he started and released my hands to grab his gold crutches, "Red is a good color on you. And this time, I don't mean on just your cheeks." Matthew winked, causing me to blush even deeper, and placed his crutches underneath the pits of his arms. Smiling one last tight lipped smile, Matthew nodded his head once and hobbled away to where the Royal family would be seated. I watched him go and sat back down in my seat at the same time that he sat in his. I knew that Matthew noticed, for he smiled at me yet again and hushed his lips. I was about to do the same until I felt a light tap on my shoulder. Three people stood behind me; Blake, Willow,... and Daniel.