Chapter 12- why?

Stefan's pov:
I had heard Klaus mumbling to himself moments after I had woken up. Roman was peacefully asleep on the floor, tangled up in a bright, red blanket. Em wasn't anywhere to be seen, she had woken up during the night. I had managed to calm her down, but I think she stayed awake.
I'm not going to lie, I'm worried about Em. She woke up screaming and crying, I felt sick just thinking about it. She was fine back in Mystic Falls. We never should've come here in the first place.

I looked at an alarm clock that was on the side table next to our bed, it read 6:11, where was Emma? She's never up early, normally I have to physically pull her out of bed. Anyways, I heard Klaus mumbling downstairs. He was talking sooo quietly that even I couldn't hear him. I couldn't be bothered getting dressed, so I walked downstairs in some shorts and a t-shirt with the blanket wrapped round my torso.

As I got to the bottom of the staircase I heard Klaus more clearly, as I saw a letter in his hand. Confusion override me, "hmm?" The words just slipped out of my mouth, "Why are you here?!" That sounded harsh...

He looked startled as he looked over the piece of paper towards my direction.
"Klaus.... What happened?" My tone of voice was in dangerous waters now.
"It.. erm, I don't know how to, put...this" His voice was cracking, "she's gone... Em left Stefan."
I swear I saw a tear roll down his face, but I ignored it and vampire speeded upstairs and got changed, leaving Roman, (once again) still asleep on the floor.

Once I made it back downstairs, I had a short, quick conversation with Klaus, saying how we were both going to go out looking for her, no matter what the note said. Klaus said he was going to tell Rebekah and Elijah to come and search as well, everyone else was staying out of this- especially Scott. I still don't trust them.

I was out looking for 2 hours before I found any trace of Emma, I texted Klaus and he text me back saying he to wait there, him and Rebekah will be here soon. I don't understand why Klaus is so desperate about trying to find her, or how he knows if she's ok or not-  must, just be the perks of being a hybrid, right?

Klaus got here 2minutes after he sent me the message and we searched together for Emma, Elijah had to go back to Mystic Falls. Something bad must be happening there too. Fantastic.
Rebekah went ahead of us, she thought it would've been better to approach Emma that way. That left me and Klaus, I took this time alone with him for good.
"So, Klaus. What's it like being a hybrid?" I asked, genuinely curious.
"Yes, it's really quite good. Why d'you ask?"
"No reason." I muttered
"Come on, Stefan. Even a human would be able to tell you're lying" he chuckled.
My face went blank and I rolled my eyes, "fine, why are you always so worried about Em? And you always know if something is happening to her or if she's fine!" My voice rose and my speech sped up.
I looked at Klaus' face, it was pale. Sweat began to drip down his forehead and his face went blank. Was he hiding something?
"Klaus?" I asked again. He didn't answer, he just looked at the ground.
I let out a breath, what was so bad that he can't say?

"We should probably catch up to Rebekah now." He answered after a while.
"So what? You're just not going to speak now? What can be so bad Klaus? What could be so bad that-"
"Enough!" Klaus shouted, "it is not my place to tell you! So we are going to find your girlfriend. And she is going to explain!"

I was shocked about what Klaus had to say. Anyway, we continued to follow Rebekah from a mile behind her. After a couple more hours of walking, we stopped, Rebekah had found something, or Emily.

Rebekah's pov;
I had been walking for a few hours now, I don't know where my brother and Stefan were. I listened out for them- they were about half a mile away. But then I heard someone else... they were walking against the wind, the slow icy breeze. They were whistling, it sounded like the song 'Heros'. Em's favourite song... was it her? Had I found her?
I ran off, towards the sound/person.
Quicker, quicker, faster and faster. Until I saw her.. I saw Em. She was crossing a road, her earphones dangling down by her hips. Her boots were tapping against the road as she walked, her face was blank.
I slowly approached her, this was either going to go brilliantly or terribly. Probably terribly...

She was walking away from me with her back turned away, I quickened my pace before tapping Em lightly on her shoulder, she jumped. Then attempted to drop-kick me, she failed.
"Hey, shhhh." I whispered, "it's me. You're ok.. you're fine don't worry."
She tried to escape, "Leave me alone! You don't understand Rebekah." She turned around and punched me in the gut.
"Emma, don't make a scene, come on. We'll go back and we will talk about this back at the house. Ok?"
"No, no, no no no no. You don't understand. I can't go back, We can't trust them. Please." Her voice high-pitched and tears ran down her face.
"Ok, tell me. What happened?" She blinked rapidly and wiped her eyes.
"I'm a monster" she cried.
"What do you mean?" She started running off, "no Em! You have to tell me, so I can understand!" I bear-hugged her, as if I was holding on for dear life, "I'm not letting you go. Ok"
"No, you don't understand. Get off me! I killed her. I'm a monster!" She began balling her eyes out again.
"Hey, calm down. Who did you kill?"
There was a pause before she answered- when she did, it was hardly a whisper-
"Caroline." She let out a shaky breath. "I killed Caroline Forbes, I killed my best friend."

At that moment, I saw Klaus and Stefan emerge from behind a group of teenagers. Klaus' face was blank, but I could see sorrow in his eyes. Stefan looked worried. He walked up to Emily with his hand out, "Em, it's me. It's ok baby, I'm right here."
"No! Stay away from me!" The tears rushing out of her eyes were now waterfalls. A few people had stopped to look at the commotion, I noticed Klaus give them a death-stare. Oh it looks could kill, they'd all be very much dead.
"Emma, she's not dead. You didn't kill anyone, you didn't kill Caroline, I can prove it. I promise"
Emily looked up, "how?" Her voice was hardly a whisper now, thank god for being supernatural.
Klaus walked up to us, he looked at me, then at Emma (who was still wrapped in my arms). Then he pulled his phone, out of his back pocket, "Em" they both made eye contact, "I'm calling Caroline, she is going to pick up. I promise." He nodded his head. He dialled Caroline's number ring, ring, ring...
"Hello?" I never thought I would be so glad to hear her voice.
"Caroline.." Klaus spoke slowly, "you're alive aren't you?"
"Klaus? That's such a weird thing to ask, but yes. I am alive.." If only she knew.
Emma fell to her knees in a mixture of shock and relief, "look Car, I'll call you back later and explain, bye." He shut off his phone.
Klaus then put a hand on Emma's shoulder, "it's not your fault, we'll sort this out." She smiled. Then Klaus stepped back, making way for an extremely worried Stefan, I also stepped back. Em fell back into his arms as she cried into his shoulder, "it felt so real," she sniffed, "it all felt so real."
"I know baby, I know."