Chapter 5 - The Home Front

It's getting late. I'm sitting still, tired as I soullessly stare at my TV. The bright lights of the screen and the harsh weather outside are a relaxing combination. Something that helps the healing after a long day's work at the mall. Now I can finally take a breather. Sometimes a bit of relief can go a long way.

Back when mom lived with me we'd sit and watch game shows together. Nature programs and shows about knitting. When she wasn't there I'd take a gander at the occasional cop show. Mom seemed to enjoy the passive shows more. I really can't blame her. She wasn't a violent woman. Always kind, loving, and honest. The two of us would crack jokes and share positive energy. We'd revel in good quality TV entertainment and with a slice of her homemade pie on the side, states of happiness felt long-lasting

These were the good old days. Maya would come in with us as well to occasionally a show or two. The casual flick would bring joy to the three of us. As you know it was only two of us after the truck hit. However, we'd still tune in. We'd still feel her presence. It haunts the Blart family to this very day. We'd watch these shows to respect Margaret and her beautiful mind. To pay tribute to such an incredible figure. A parent who kept this family going. Someone who was determined to always have faith in yours truly. She loved me and I felt it. The family bond was still there for many years. Gluing the cracks and holes of life together. Solving our trials and tribulations.

The shows themselves were always fun. Just like memories. Like a pie or any other food, a show may grow old and stale but the good times live on. Even as distant echoes of a familiar warmth fade away I try to follow the past. A heartfelt spirit I may never feel the sensation of. A being long gone. Someone that's just a nostalgic feeling. A ghostly flashback that's just an abstraction.

Now it's only me. Although Maya can still feel my presence. Like I said before, she's at UCLA. Happy to have left the nest. I'm sitting in my chair with tears dripping down as I watch a large range of commercials play endlessly. My eyes slowly drift off into the night as I roll over. Falling asleep to the sombre rain and pointless noise of the ads. The TV remote falls out of my hand. Landing onto the floor with a quiet thud. It's a slow night. A period of boredom. A time similar to any day for me. A small slice of life where I'm trying to relax but... Safety never takes a holiday.