𝐗𝐈𝐕. OBLIVION

❝ PRETTY FACE ❞
February 4th, 2021

REAL LIFE — THEO!

THEO WOKE UP TO GUNSHOTS.

His eyes snapped open at the noise, but he didn't react. There were a few moments of Did I just hear gunshots? before he assumed that it was just a dream. He had those somtimes — where something happened in the dream that freaked him out so badly that he woke up trembling, curled under the covers with an apology on his tongue. So that was his first thought — it was a dream. That was all. He could almost go back to sleep at that moment and continue dreaming, a hopefully better one.

And then the yelling started and Theo sprung out of his bed, heart pounding, and made a run for his bedroom door. He threw it open, putting one foot in front of the other as he entered the living room, barely able to hear over the sound of his own blood rushing in his ears as he realized, frantically, that it wasn't a dream, that he had heard gunshots in his home.

Gunshots went off in his home, and neither Theo nor Techno owned a gun.

He found himself spun around, coming face-to-face with a pale, panicked looking Techno, who had taken him by the shoulders and turned him around so his back was to the living room.

Theo felt a sob escape his throat, the reality that Techno could have been shot finally being processed by his brain. Even though Techno was clearly fine, he couldn't help but imagine what would have happened if his brother had been shot. Killed, even. What would he have done then?

Everything was happening so fast. Theo felt the room spinning under his feet.

"What happened?" Theo demanded, his voice trembling almost as much as his body.

"Breathe," Techno said gently, one hand coming up to cup Theo's cheek. "Breathe for me, okay? I'm going to explain but not while you're having a panic attack." Theo held back another sob, nodding. "Okay. Listen to me, okay?" Theo nodded again, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. "Harriet broke into the house." Theo froze, trying to turn around.

Techno tightened his grip on Theo, keeping him in place. "Look at me." Theo met his brother's eyes, shaking. "It's okay. She tripped the alarm and the police were called over. I was talking with them because I was confused about why they were here, I didn't know she was hiding in here. They saw Harriet running toward your room with a knife, so they shot her. She's gone, Theo."

She's gone.

Harriet was gone.

Harriet was dead.

Theo fell to his knees, letting out another broken sob. Techno hugged him close, placing a hand at the back of his head to make sure he didn't turn around.

Theo didn't know what to feel — Harriet was his friend, but also his abuser, his manipulator. She wasn't a good person, but she had made him feel seen. He hated her, but he loved her, too.

The room was still spinning.

"I don't want you to see her, so you're gonna stay right here until she's gone, okay?" Techno whispered.

"Okay," Theo murmured, curling up in Techno's arms. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm okay. Are you focusing on me?" Techno asked. Theo hummed softly, nodding. He clung to Techno like a lifeline, knowing he would fall apart if he let go for even a moment. "Okay. It's over, Theo. It's over and you're safe and we're both okay. Can you focus on that for me?" Theo nodded again. Techno was trusting him to do this, to be alright. Theo could afford to not be alright later.