𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

❝ PRETTY FACE ❞
December 26th, 2021

REAL LIFE — THEO!

ON THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS, the beach was surprisingly empty, save for Theo, Ranboo, and Techno—the oldest of which had, somehow, gotten permission to have a bonfire close to the ocean with no lifeguards on duty. At least, Techno said he got permission; Theo and Ranboo still didn't know if they should believe him or not.

The warmth of the roaring fire helped Theo deal with the cold, but still, goosebumps appeared on his skin, Ranboo's jacket doing nothing to help them go away. He wrapped his arms around himself anyway, almost drowning in the jacket that was already too big on Ranboo, and watched Ranboo poke the fire with a stick.

"Don't hurt yourself," Theo scolded.

Ranboo looked up and smiled at him, soft, and Theo's felt like he was going to melt into a puddle and be taken away by the ocean. It wouldn't be a bad way to go, Ranboo's smile.

Theo smiled back shyly, dropping his arms. "Techno will be back soon," he said, stepping closer to Ranboo. "We should, uh, make the most of it until he comes back."

Ranboo raised his eyebrows, his smile turning coy. "You could just ask me to kiss you, you know."

Theo rolled his eyes. "But then how will I flirt with you?"

"That was flirting?" Ranboo teased. Theo flicked his arm. Ranboo winced, rubbing the spot on his arm, and then leaned down and kissed Theo's head.

Theo pouted at him when he straightened up again. "No fair. I want a real kiss."

Ranboo chuckled softly, tilting Theo's head up by his chin and leaning down again, kissing Theo softly. Theo melted into it; they'd shared a private kiss earlier, before leaving for the beach while Techno was in the bathroom, but it was a little hard to keep sneaking around like this. Theo just hadn't found the right time to tell Techno that he and Ranboo were dating.

Boyfriends. Techno was going to lose his mind over being the last one to know.

Ranboo pulled back to save his neck any more pain and smiled at Theo. "You're distracted again," he noted, "and not because of me. That's rude." He smiled, pulling Theo closer. "What's on your mind?"

". . . Techno still doesn't know we're dating," Theo said, looking up at Ranboo. Ranboo hummed, meeting his eyes. "I don't know how to tell him but I want to tell him. I want us to be able to go out on dates and not have to lie to him."

"You know he's going to be happy for us," Ranboo pointed out. "What's stopping you?"

Theo shrugged, resting his cheek against Ranboo's chest, comforted by the sound of his heartbeat. "I don't know."

"I can tell him if you want," Ranboo offered, swaying them slightly from side to side as he hugged Theo. "I don't mind."

Theo shook his head. "It's my job, innit? He's my brother."

Ranboo blinked. "You sound like Tommy when you say that, innit."

Theo rolled his eyes, smiling. "It's a nice word. Gets the point across."

Ranboo chuckled, leaning down to kiss Theo again.

Theo cupped Ranboo's cheek, eyes fluttering shut as he deepened the kiss. He hadn't seen Ranboo in person for about two weeks before today, and facetime just wasn't cutting it when he had the real deal right in front of him.

It was a shame when Techno showed up again, clearing his throat in an effort to grab their attention, causing the two boys to jump apart and stumble away from each other like they'd been caught doing something bad. Techno raised his eyebrows at Theo, smirking slightly, and somehow Theo knew that it would be okay.

"Well then," Techno said, holding a stack of letters in his hand. "We said we'd burn these when you got home." He handed the letters to Theo, whose hands wouldn't stop shaking now that he and Ranboo had been caught, and looked at Ranboo. "I don't have anything for us to burn, but we can pretend." Ranboo nodded quietly, looking embarrassed.

Theo swallowed, looking up at his brother. "That's it? We're not gonna talk about it?"

Techno smiled at him slightly, shaking his head. "You aren't that subtle," Techno said. ". . . And Will spilled the beans while you guys were on the plane home, so. Yeah."

Theo facepalmed, wanting to fly back to Brighton to kick Wilbur's ass. "Of course he did. That man can never keep his mouth shut."

Ranboo chuckled quietly, still looking out of place. "Well, uh, does that mean I'm getting the older brother talk?" he asked Techno.

Techno shook his head. "Nah. You're a good kid. If I didn't like you, Theo wouldn't date you. He respects my opinion."

"Except when it comes to cheese," Theo chimed in. "Can I burn these now?" He held up the letters that were written by their dad, words addressed to Theo that had never been read and never would be. Pleads to convince Techno to move back in with their dad, insults that Theo didn't need spinning their way around his mind.

Good riddance.

"Burn 'em," Techno said, settling into the sand. Ranboo followed, leaving a space for Theo in the middle of them.

Theo glanced down at the letters with a frown before he chucked the pile into the fire, watching the flames lick the paper and burn them to ashes quicker than Theo thought they would. The paper turned brown and fell away to nothing before Theo had even processed the piece of him that regretted not reading at least one.

Theo sat in between his brother and his boyfriend, watching the flames try to reach toward the night sky. The stars were plentiful tonight, their place on the beach far enough away from the city that the light pollution didn't cover the stars this time.

Techno ruffled his hair before letting his arm drop around Theo's shoulders, pulling him close in a rare display of physical affection. "I think you're overdue for a haircut," he noted with a grin as Theo rolled his eyes. He didn't push Techno away from him though, not like he used to do as a kid—he had long since learned to appreciate the hugs that Techno gave him.

"Oh, fuck you," Theo said, leaning against his brother's side. ". . . You're okay with us?" he asked, just to make sure, just to know that Techno wasn't disappointed in him. It was one thing for Theo to say he was gay, something Techno could accept; but what if he couldn't accept that Theo was actually gay, was actually dating a boy, that this wasn't just a phase.

That was stupid to worry about, Theo knew, but he was afraid all the same.

Techno hummed softly, looking up at the stars that dotted the night sky. "I'm a little worried about you having your first boyfriend," he admitted. "But it's Ranboo. I trust Ranboo, and I know you, and I think you two are going to make a great pair," he said, smiling at Theo slightly.

Theo looked away to hide the fact that he was tearing up, leaning closer to his brother at the same time. "That's dumb. You're stupid," he said, not knowing how to display how grateful he was.

Techno smiled slightly, turning his gaze back to the stars. "I love you, too, Theo."