𝐗𝐋𝐈. AND WOULD YOU BE THERE

❝ PRETTY FACE ❞
August 30th, 2021

REAL LIFE — THEO!

"READY TO TALK ABOUT IT?" Techno asked casually, Discord icon lighting up as he spoke; even still, Theo kept his eyes on the screen, searching Techno's face for any sign of tiredness. Techno looked the same as he had before — he looked healthy. He had started chemo, but he looked healthy. That probably wouldn't be the case for very long, so Theo was determined to remember what Techno looked like before he began to look frailer.

If that time ever came, of course. For all Theo knew, his mom was a one-time thing. Maybe Techno wouldn't even lose any hair.

"Talk about what?" Theo asked, trying to sound just as indifferent. Techno smiled slightly at him, shaking his head.

"You're more stubborn than I am," he murmured. Theo smiled. "That's not a good thing." Theo frowned.

"Fine. You want to talk about it?" Theo asked. "I almost had a breakdown on stream. Someone asked why I wasn't with you and, honestly, Techno, I have to agree with them. Isn't it worse that I'm not there? I'm miserable and always worried about you, and you need someone that you can lean on for support!"

Theo tried to keep his voice low, not wanting to wake Tubbo and Ranboo. But it was difficult to remember to keep his emotions in check while he was talking to his cancer-ridden brother who insisted that Theo shouldn't come home. Forgive him for not having enough tact to be considerate of the other two sleeping-in boys.

"We've been over this," Techno sighed.

"No, you've been over this!" Theo nearly shouted, tears brimming his eyes. "Fuck, man, I just— I don't want you to die, Techno," Theo finally spat, wiping at his eyes quickly so the tears didn't spill over. "I don't want you to die and I have to find out from a fucking— leaked Twitter thing or something!"

Techno looked dejected, expression drawing downward as he watched Theo try to compose himself. "Kid," he said, gentler this time, "I'm not going to die."

"I'm not a kid, stop treating me like I am," Theo insisted. "Why can't I come home?"

"I don't need you to come home, Theo," Techno blurted. "You are a kid! Despite everything you're still a kid, you're still my little brother, and I'm not going to pretend that you're emotionally mature enough to handle this type of thing! You need to be surrounded by people who can actually comfort you!"

"Harriet wouldn't treat me like a kid!"

Theo hit the desk with his fist; later, he would be thankful that he hadn't broken Tubbo's desk or his hand, with how hard he hit the wood, but for now, he could only feel irritation coursing through his veins, making his face burn red with the embarrassment that coupled with the annoyance.

He wasn't a kid. Not in the teasing way that Tommy wasn't a kid, but in an actual I am not a child, I am mature way.

Techno gave him an almost broken look, puling Theo out of his self-pity party. He wanted to punch himself — his brother was the one with cancer, but Theo was still making it about himself. Why did he have to make everything about himself?

"I'm sorry," Theo murmured.

Techno looked away, taking a deep breath. "When you get home, I'm putting you back in therapy."