Chapter Five

One week later and two days before Christmas.

It has been a busy Saturday afternoon. Tuis Kombuis was filled with more tourist than locals. The overseas guest loved the South African menu. They loved the rich variety that the restaurant offered not, not unlike the country as a whole.

Most of them were Brits, closely followed by Germans. Scattered in between were a few North Americans and Asians. It seemed that the Americans have not discovered the rich diversity and beauty that South Africa and Africa, as a whole, has to offer.

During a break, Aïda walked around the beautiful African inspired eatery.

The mustard yellow walls brought a sense of warmth especially, during winter when the chimney was on. Creating that homely ambience that she and the patrons loved so much.

Specially commissioned paintings dotted the walls.

At reception and on every table a bust of either male or female was placed as the centre piece. The bust consisted of people from different race and ethnic groups in South Africa, just like the food.

The smell of fresh blooms fetched you at the door. Those beautiful flowers came from the famous, Adderley Street, flower ladies.

Everthing was perfect.

But then she interrupted Aida's thoughts.

"Ahem...I see someone's dreaming. Sleeping is for night, cook."
"Miss November...how may I be of assistance?"
"You remember me?" Tiffany said feigning surprise.

Aïda wanted to slap her.

"I'll get a waitress to assist you."

Aïda really had to leave,  before she lost her cool. So much for a good day.

"No need. I'm not staying."

"Then I'll take your leave," Aïda said, whilst turning around.

Tiffany cleared her throat.

"Not so fast, Miss cook, I have something for you."

Aïda slowly turned back around to face Tiffany.

"Yes?"

"Adriaan and Johanie asked me to give this to you," Tiffany said handing a gold envelope to her.

Aïda looked at the envelope and back at Tiffany.

"Don't look so excited. It's not money."

Why was she so mean?

"It's an invitation to the Harmse mansion, in Sandton. It's on 'second' New Year. Be there."

"I'll check my schedule," Aïda answered very cockily.

"It's a very exclusive event. People of influence will be there. A person like you will never get another chance like this. Use it if you can."

A person like...

"What do you mean a person...?Anyway, erm... please refrain from making such broad statements... I have to go."

Aïda tried to leave, but Tiffany grabbed her right forearm.

What the hell?

"I'm not finished yet," Tiffany said to Aïda, with a warning look.

Aïda folded her arms across her chest whilst trying to control herself.

"Speak up," She said through gritted teeth.

"You need to let them know by the 24th, past midday at the latest. Okay?"