Chapter Eleven

It had been two days since the charity event/ dinner party in Sandton.

Aïda had left on the first flight the next morning. That flight was at six in the morning. She went to her flat to shower and came to work afterwards.

She had only heard from Zoë twice. That very night just after leaving and the following afternoon. Zoë had called both timed to ask about her well-being.

Zoë was staying at the Harmse mansion for a few days. She was their guest and they promised to show her more of Joburg. She seemed ecstatic. Aïda was truly happy for her. Already one of the friends was happy.

Fortunately she did not have much time to dwell on her own issues. It was cricket time in the Mother city. If was the New Years test at Newlands and Tuis Kombuis was packed in the morning and evenings with cricket supporters from overseas and other tourists.

She was busy chopping vegetables when Martin spoke next to her.

"I see Zoë is enjoying Johannesburg. Her Fb page is inundated with pictures of tourists attractions, celebs and especially two rugbyplayers. She loves that lifestyle doesn't she?"
"That lifestyle isn't everything, Martin."
"I know but these rugbyplayers certainly get all the beautiful women. Just look at Aden van den Heever. He's got the hottest woman in South Africa as his girlfriend. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they get married."

"Ouch!"
"Aïda me careful. How deep is it?"
"I'm fine."
"No you're not. You've cut your finger because I talked too much. I'm sorry."

He wasn't exactly wrong.

"I'll be fine Martin. You stay here while I get a plaster for my finger."
"I'll clean up here, don't worry, Aïda. Take your time. You won't be able to work with that finger anyway."

Aïda knew he was right. She would have to be in supervising duty only, for a few days. Some much for keeping busy.

It was ten minutes later when she came from her office at half past seven in the evening. The restaurant was full to the brim. The scorching heat of of day made way for more pleasant night time warmth but, inside Tuis Kombuis at was very cool thanks to the airconditioning system.

Aïda suddenly felt uneasy as she walked between the tables. Someone was watching her. She looked to her left where she saw sudden movement a second agod but, saw no one suspicious. Maybe it was her imagination. She had not seen that guy in since Christmas morning so maybe it was all in her head. A pure coincidence. She wanted to believe that with all her heart.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

It was half past twelve when Aïda finally entered her flat. A couple of minutes later she was in the shower. She decided to do her hair while she was at it. She did a conditioner-only wash and go. There was not much time in the morning. The only thing that was left to do was to try her hair.

Aïda was busy drying her hair when something caught her eye. On the warm and humid evening a chill ran down her spine.

Aïda turned off the blowdryer and looked around her miniscule studio flat. She was alone. The bathroom was the only hiding place and she just came from there.

She went to the bathroom but it was empty. She looked to her bag that was now lying on the countertop in the kitchen area. That was odd.

Aïda is a creature of habit. Some might even even say she has obsessive compulsive disorder. Since moving into her flat she had never left her bag on the counter after entering the house. She always puts the bag on her rightside bed table. Every single time. Just like she checkes to see if the door is closed seven times every night.