Chapter Thirty Eight

Bainskloof Pass, Western Cape, South Africa.

Bainskloof Pass

"She saw me," Aïda whispered, "my mother saw me."

"No, she can't see through the lace curtains. Anyway, this is a campsite so people come here all the time. Stay calm, Angel."

Evelynn stopped looking at the beautiful curtain and continued walking over the road towards the river. She planned to ask the watchman if he knew who made it. She would be a millionare soon.

Sighing, Aïda watched the woman she loved take her last steps of freedom. It pained her to see her mother smiling,  as if she had done nothing wrong. A flood of tears raced down her cheeks. Aden held her in his arms allowing her to cry her heart out. She watched through the tears as her mother disapeared behind the trees.

She was going to have to watch her mother be taken to prison. She was going to see her through glass walls and talk through a phone. Evelynn would have to wear orange for the remainder of her life, Aïda knew how much she hated that colour.

Aïda thought of that night when she found out that Evelynn had sold her for a better life.

*Flashback Starts*

"Why?" Aïda whispered as snot and tears mingled down her face.

Her capturer came to her trying to help her up, but she swatted his hands away.

Her mother laughed, shaking her head.

"Enough! You've hurt your daughter enough." The capturer snarled at Evelynn.

"Don't you dare shout at my mother," Aïda yelled at him.

Evelynn laughed even more, it was like someone was tickling her.

"You're defending this woman, well I would not even call her that. This woman you call mother, sold you to me, for ten million Rands. Yes, you're worth that little to her," the capturer said with pity in his eyes.

"Ten million is anything but little, in fact, but it might be too little compared to the trouble you've brought to my life. The man I wanted, your father dumped me when he found out I was pregnant with you, he did not want to leave his wife. I only got pregnant so that he would leave that woman. Still, I have birth to you again hoping that once he saw you, he would come to his senses, but he never did. I went as far as going to his house with you, still he rejected me, but he was willing to keep you and look after you, of cause without me. He and that wife of his wanted to raise you. I would have been crazy to let you go. How else would I have had a hold on him? Pity he only paid child support, well, he actually paid more than that, but he was only interested in seeying you and not in me," Evelynn said.

That last part was new to Aïda, she knew that she was a product of an affair, but her mother had always told her that her father wanted nothing to do with her. When he came to visit her, she was always polite, but never allowed him in, thinking that he hated her. He would ask her to come visit him during school says when she was old enough, but she refused him, just like her mom did when Aïda was younger.

"Mom, please stop this madness! Please! It's not too late to change your mind. I'll forgive him," Aïda points to her captured, "and you know that I forgive anything you do, you're my mother afterall. I love you."

Evelynn looked at her daughter with a surprise, it was the first time that Aïda had told her that she loved, but Evelynn had never uttered those words to her daughter. Aïda had only been a pawn for her, a pawn that ended up ruining her figure and her life, so she told herself. Maybe that was why Sifiso Matshoba didn't want her anymore, her fit and tight body was a shadow of it's former self.

"You understand, Aïda, but I'm actually doing you a favour. I mean, that cute rugby guy won't be interested in you forever. Just look at me, my straight hair and light complexion could not even keep your father. His family liked the other woman more, she is of the same ethnicity and culture. People like there own kind. That is what sealed my fate. Yes, my life got ruined, but now I have decided to get rich. Both of us will have money now. See this as my gift, okay?"
Evelynn finished her rant.

Aïda said nothing, she just walked off to her room. Her mother had been right about people though, but she was wrong to sell her own daughter or anyone else's for that matter.

*End Of Flashback*

Aïda had just gotten out of her stupor when a gunshot was heard, she stood grounded to the spot, another two followed in quick succession.

It felt like a piece of her was gone.