Chapter Eighteen

When Aïda turned the key she realized that instead opening the door that she had just locked it.

Her heart was racing. Had she forgotten to lock it? No. She was kind of OCD about these things. She would never leave her door open. She checked it seven times in the morning.

Oh no! She heard a noise in her flat. The sound of something falling.

What does she need to do?

Aïda walked in reverse, trying to get to the stairs as soon as possible.

She heard foorsteps coming up the stairs.

Was there more intruders?

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

The sweat was dripping from Aden's face as he did his last set of calisthenic reps. He had been at the gym since six in the evening and it was now just after nine. He came to the gym straight from rugby practice.

He had a gym at home but being at the public gym made him feel less lonely, in a way.

In his way to the showers he noticed people staring at him. Clearly most of them recognized him. He decided to avoid eye contact. He hated to see the pity in everyone's eyes.

The warm water hitting his skin have Aden something to concentrate on. It was Valentine's Day and usually Heinrich and his wife would have been out at some fancy restaurant enjoying themselves but...now his brother was in the grave and his wife was crying her heart out. He had called her three times during the day. The first time was at seven in the morning (South African time) and the last was right before he came to the gym. She pretended to be strong but he knew she was shattered. Days like these were very hard.

After the shower Aden took his duffelbag and left for his flat.

He had barely gotten into his flat when his cell rang. It was his best friend.

"Hi Adriaan, shouldn't you be enjoying your first V Day as a married man?"

Adriaan chuckled, "I've already enjoyed it. How are you, buddy? I called you earlier but your phone was off."

Aden had seen the two missed calls from his friend, when he switched on his phone in the parking lot at the gym. He planned to call back as soon as he got home but, Adriaan beat him to it.

"Yeah, I was at the gym. Sorry about that."
"I understand. Anyway, are you getting more sleep?"
"I'm sleeping just fine, Adriaan. Don't worry about me."
"I can't help it. You're going through so much and that alone alone too. Maybe I should've gotten a transfer to a London club-"
"Relax Adriaan. Your transfer negotiations started last year already. None of us knew how badly this year would be. I appreciate all your support though. Thanks."
"Don't thank me. You would've supported me too, had the roles been reversed. Anyway, I want to ask you something."
"Go ahead Adriaan."

Adriaan cleared his throat. He was quiet for a few seconds. Aden thought that he had hung up.

"Erm... I know the timing is off but...erm... our welcoming party had been moved back. I want to wait untill you can join us. I know you said that you would not be able to come now but, maybe a few months from now might work, right?"
"If I get chosen for the national team I might come."

Adriaan snorted.

"The coach would be foolish not to pick you: you're the best in your position. In the world." Adriaan stated.

"We'll see. I'll give my answer then." Aden said.
"I don't expect a 'no', for your information." Adriaan retorted.

Adriaan knew that his buddy's world had been turned upside down, again but he would do everything in his power to brighten Aden's life.