Chapter Nine

Recognition hit Aïda as she inhaled his cologne.

Why was he doing this?

She started to struggle but Aden whispered in her ear, "Aïda calm down. It's me Aden."

With that he released her.

"What do you think you're doing! Are you trying to harm me? Tell me Aden!" Aïda demanded.

Aden looked hurt, "I'm sorry I thougt you knew I was here. I realized when you were about to scream that I scared you. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."

To Aïda he seemed genuinely sorry so what else could she do?

"Okay you're forgiven this time." She admitted.
"Thank you. Would you please come with me? I want to talk to you somewhere more...suitable."

Aïda looked at him in silence for a few seconds wondering whether to go with him or not.

"Okay but make it quick."
"Good. Follow me."

She followed him not wanting to create a scene. He led her into an elevator at the back of the house. They reached the roof of the mansion just before midnight.

"Why did you bring me here?" She felt a bit nervous.
"Don't be scared. I won't harm you."

She relaxed after hearing those words but, he hated the fact that she could be scared of him. But he had done a stupid thing earlier.

They heard the countdown to midnight.

He stared into her eyes as the fireworks went off around them, "Happy New Year Aïda. May all your prayers be answered this year."

He kissed her on her hair, between her parting. All she could do was stare. Every thought seemed to disappear from her mind. She was barely conscious of the fireworks going off in the background. Only his presence and the beating of her heart. It seemed to spring out of her chest.

Aden stared at the beautiful woman in front of him. Her big, beautiful dark eyes staring into his blue ones caused a stir in his soul. He had to take her to a more crowded place because his thoughts were not so pure anymore.

"Shall we go." He pulled himself away from her.

She seemed to be in two minds to him.

"Wait...Happy New Year to you too, Aden. May your life prosper. May you be blessed abundantly."

She give him a big beautiful smile showcasing that left dimple of hers to perfection. He smiles back at her.

"I'll take you back down. Your friend must be looking for you."
"Okay."

"Wait. Can I watch the fireworks display for a few minutes. It's not everyday that I get to enjoy it from such a beautiful place." It was Aïda.
"Hmmm. Sure. Let's enjoy it together then." He smiled.
Aïda again, "You know I like the beautiful display but I hate the noise and the effect it has on the animals."
"I hate the effect it has on the animals too that is the reason I did not arrange fireworks myself." Admitted Aden.

She gave him a shy smile, "Do you have any yourself?"
"Any?"
"Any pets."
"No, pets are not allowed in my flat in London and I'm barely ever here so I can't even have any here." Aden admitted.
"So you live in a flat in London? If I had money I'd buy a big house with lots of outdoor space. I'm so sick of having no space." Aïda realized then that she said too much, "I'm sorry I did not mean to bore you with my issues."

He said nothing for a few of seconds and it made Aïda feel a bit selfconcious. Maybe he thought of her as a golddigger.

"There's nothing to be sorry about," he smiled at her," when I moved to London I bought the first flat I liked. It was only supposed to live in it for a while but, I had no desire to go looking for a bigger house after I settled in. I was away from the house alot so it made know sense to have a huge mansion stand empty most of the time."
"But you admitted that you're barely in South Africa so why did you get this place? Or are you renting it?" Aïda inquired.
"I bought this place only for investment purposes but, I have to admit it comes in handy on nights like these."