Chapter Thirteen

Three weeks later.

Tuis Kombuis was filled with to capacity yet again and Aïda felt like she would lose her mind. Three of her waitrons were 'sick' so she decided to fill in on the floor. Martin and the other chefs were hard at work in the kitchen. She had just come back from her second shower of the day and it was only four in the afternoon.

The uniform's looked like it was stuck to the staff's bodies. The customers did not look any better. Sweaty brows and palms were the order of the day. People were ordering almost as much water as alcoholic beverages and cold carbonated drinks. The airconditiong system was the hero of the day.

A smile crossed Aïda's lips when she saw her bestie entering through the front doors. Zoë had on a white golfer shirt and a dark denim jeans. Her ginger hair was in a bun.

"Hi Zoë."
"Hey chomma. It looks like you need some help."
"I'll manage. If you're hungry, I can send Nadine to get your order. You can eat in my office."
"No thanks. Where's the fun in eating alone. I'll see you later."

Before Aïda could respond a customer called her over. She didn't even see where Zoë went.

Ten minutes later and Zoë was serving a table. Aïda was surprised but she wasn't angry. At 40 degrees celcius she could not afford to be angry. She needed to stay cool.

The two besties finally had a break part ten at night.

They were seated at Aïda's desk in her office. The two friends were staring through the wide window, at the backside of the office, watching pedestrians strolling in the next street. Nobody seemed to be in a rush.

Lovers were holding hands. Families both young and old were enjoying each other's company. Friends were taking selfies and making new memories under the beautiful African night sky.

Everything seemed perfect but, not in Aïda's world.

Aïda's emotional and mental state had been turned upside down. She had been suffering in silence, though. As far as she knew Zoë was unaware of her internal struggle. That's how she wanted to keep it.

"So... I talked to Adriaan today." Zoë interrupted her bestie's thoughts.

Aïda came out of her reverie and looked gave her friend a quizzical look. She was afraid to speak. Afraid that her voice would betray her.

"Don't you want to know why? Come on, at least pretend to be interested, chomma."
"I'm all ears." Aïda responded with a small smile.
"Well since you're so excited I'll tell you," Zoë looked returned her gaze to the passersby and continued, "I was worried about Aden."

Aïda felt like her heart would burst out of her chest but she controlled herself.

Zoë continued, " I wish I could give him a tight hug and tell him that he's not alone. He need to -"

A bitter laugh from Aïda stopped Zoë.

"Are you listening to yourself, Zoë? You're going to tell someone who's lost his whole family that he's not alone?"

It was Zoë's turn to be silent.

"Anyway, he has his girlfriend for that. I'm sure she's giving him all the support he needs. Don't worry about him, okay."
"Chomma he needs all the support in the world."
"Why did you talk to Adriaan?"
"I wanted to convey my simpathy to Aden. I messaged Aden on fb but..."
"Did he not respond?"
"He did but social media can feel so cold sometimes but, yes, he said that he  appreciated the support."

Aïda could hardly belief her ears. Aden had ignored all her messages on fb. She had thought it was because he was in mourning but apparently not.

Why is he bothering her? Had she not been clear enough?

"So anyway..." Zoë paused, "are you ready for your meeting with the secret invester,  on Monday?"
"I'm so nervous but definitely ready." Aïda responded.
"Don't worry. He was the one who reached out to you so I'm sure he's a huge fan of yours."
"That's what's bothering me. Why the secrecy? Why do I have to go through so many loops to meet him?"
"Don't tell me you think he's some kind of stalker."

Silence.

"You really think he's a stalker. A stalker?"
"No, Zoë. "
"Then what?"
"I just don't appreciate being kept in the dark. I have a right to know who I'll be partnering with. I also want to put some of my own conditions forth."
"I understand, chomma. I can't wait for your dreams to come true."

Aïda could not help but smile at that statement. What would she do without Zoë. She's been her only real support system for the last few years. Everyone else has failled her.

"So how's your new project going?" Aïda asked.
"Beautiful." Zoë answered.

Aïda lifted her brow, "Beautiful?"
"Yes, chomma. I don't even understand why the client wants to redo their home. Everything is already perfect. Actually I have no idea what to do." Zoë looked nervous.
"What was the brief ?" Aïda probed.
"They said that they want something different. Apparently they trust my judgement."
"You seem scared."
"I am. These people are seriously wealthy and if they don't find my work satisfactory..." Zoë trailed off.
"Zoë you're the best interior decorator I know. You'll smash this assignment out of the park."
"I hope so."

Aïda got up from her chair and gave her bestie a hug. It's been a while since she's seen Zoë this nervous and she did not like it.

"We should finish up here. You have to leave before it's too late." Aïda said.
"Did you forget that tomorrow is Saturday? I'll sleep but tonight I'm helping out here until all the work is done." Zoë insisted.
"Fine." Aïda smiled.

She was grateful for Zoë in her life otherwise, her life seemed hopeless but, she did not want to burden her bestie with her dark thoughts.

Beep. Beep. Beep. *Cellphone notification.

Why does he not stop?!

"Are you going to look at that message or are you going to ignore it like you've been doing all afternoon." Zoë asked her friend with a suspicious look on her face.
"It's not important." Aïda responded.
"How would you know when you don't look or even call back. I've seen you putting your phone on silent mode."
"I've been busy, Zoë. You've seen how packed this place has been today."
"Whatever. I just hope that you're not rejecting some eligible batchlor."

Aïda smiled. Zoë did the same.

"Stop worrying about  my love life."
"Someone has to, chomma."
"Let's go. Clearly you're not hungry anymore."
"Chomma, I'm hungry for love."

Aïda couldn't help but laugh out loud.

"Whattt?" Zoë asked.
"You are so corny, Zoë."

*Samsung  caller ringtone*

"Answer that phone woman. I'll go outside." Zoë faked a serious tone.
"Okay."
Aïda made sure Zoë left before she answered, "Look, I don't want to listen to anything you have to say..."