Chapter Fifteen

The swooshing of the water on the shoreline held Aden's gaze. The dark waters seemed to be getting more violent with every passing hour. Aden would know because he'd been staring at the ocean for hours.

Sleep was eluding him yet again. It had been like this since Heinrich's accident. Sure he did get some sleep but only for an hour or two at a time and these were usually filled with dreams or nightmares.

He looked at the clock on his smartphone. It was 02:03. Maybe he should go and actually lay down on the bed. Maybe it will work but it had not worked earlier on.

A knock on the door disturbed him. Should be pretend to sleep or what?

He stood up from where he had been lying, on the daybed, in front of the floor to ceiling window.

"I know you're awake, Aden. May I come in?" It was Suzaan's voice.
"Come in." Aden answered.

His late brother's wife had a nervous grin on her face.

"I need to tell you something." Her voice were barely audible but he heard.
"Okay. Is everything alright?"

Suzaan gave a bitter laugh. He understood his error.

"I'm sorry. Of cause nothing is right."
"No, Aden. No need to apologize. You're worst off then I am and yet you've made the children and I your top priority. I'm so grateful but I need to ask you for one more favour."

Suzaan day on the daybed and motioned for him to do the same. Her tongue darted out of her mouth and licked her lower lip.

"You're scaring me, Suzaan."
"I...I hope you won't get upset with me, Aden but, I have to think of the children's future."

Aden's intense gaze combined with his silence made Suzaan extra nervous.

"I...erm I want to move back here permantly. I only remained in the UK for Heinrich's sake. Without him there's nothing left there anymore except for you but, my parents and all my siblings are here. I wanted to stay for your sake but there's just too many bad memories now. Heck, even the good memories are painful at the moment."

Suzaan looked at Aden her eyes filled pity. He hated that look.

"Will you be okay without us overseas?" She asked.
"Suzaan if you want to move back here I won't stop you but I want to see the kids regularly and I want to help support them financially and in every other way. Will you allow me to do that?"
"Of cause Aden. You'll always be apart of our lives. I can't even imagine our lives without you."

She gave Aden a small smile which he returned.

Someone cleared their throat. Both Aden and Suzaan looked up to see Tiffany standing in the doorway.

They stood up.

"Am I disturbing?"
"No. I was about to leave anyway. Erm... goodnight Aden."

Suzaan gave Aden a hug and left.

"What are you going up so late, Tiffany?"
"It's not late anymore - it's early. I was worried about you."
"I'm fine."
"I didn't expect you to say anything else. I wonder how that cook is feeling though."
"What do you mean?"
"Her own mother washed her dirty laundry in public and that at a funeral."
"I almost died of second hand embarrassment but she clearly does not need -"
Aden interrupted her, "Stop it now!"
"Why?" Tiffany protested.
"It's not gossip. Her own mother exposed her."
"Tiffany! I don't want to talk about them."
"Okay. Well what do you want to do?"

Aden could have sworn that Tiffany was flirting with him but he was too tired.

"Go back to your room. I want to sleep."

Tiffany looked dissapointed with his answer but turned to leave.

"Goodnight Tiffany."
"Goodnight Aden."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"So Adriaan, what are we celebrating?" An irritable Tiffany asked.

The four of them, Aden and Tiffany and the Harmses, were seated at a table at Tuis Kombuis. Adriaan had to beg Aden to come along. Adriaan had not even invited Tiffany along so he did not appreciate her bad attitude at all.

"I'll tell you after the arrives." Adriaan answered while managing to keep his voice level.
"How will the food arrive if we don't order? Who are we waiting for?" Tiffany asked.
"She has a point, Adriaan. Is someone else joining us?" Aden inquired.
"Wait a minute." Adriaan responded.

He called a waitress.

"Thandi, right?" Adriaan inquired.
"Yes sir." The waitress answered.
"I'm like to see your boss, Miss Völlenhoven. Is she available?"
"No sir. I haven't seen her all day but, I'll ask Martin."
"Okay, I'll wait."

Five minutes later.

"Good afternoon sir. How can I be of assistance?" Martin spoke.
"Hi. Do you know when Aïda will be back?" Adriaan questioned, "My name is Adriaan by the way."

Martin couldn't help but smile - who does not know who Adriaan Harmse is?

"She was here early in the morning but left as soon as soon as we opened. I have no idea where she want or when she'll be back. Erm...she's not answering her phone either. In fact, her phone is switched off." Martin filled them in.
"Is that something she usually does?" Adriaan asked, his right foot tapping on the floor.

Johanie looked at him with concern. Aden had a blank look on his face and Tiffany looked bored.

"No. Erm... usually she answers her phone, day or night." Martin answered.
"Okay, thank you. Martin, right?"
"That's correct." Martin affirmed, "I'll take your leave now."
"Okay, thanks again."
"No problem."

"So can we eat now?" Tiffany inquired.
"Yes. We can order." Adriaan answered.

Twenty minutes later the quartet were enjoying their meal. The women deeply engrossed in a discussion about fashion and beaty while the men were mostly silent.

A woman's carefree laughter suddenly filled the air, causing most of the patrons to look for the source.

A beautiful woman with a huge afro and a tall blond man, his hair was practically white, were walking side by side. The man must have been very funny because the woman couldn't control her laughter.

The fork in his hand was bended but Aden hadn't even noticed or felt the pain in his palm.