Chapter Thirty Seven

Aïda hesitated for a moment before nodding her head in agreement. She did not want to put the lives of innocent people in danger, however, Koos seemed confident that the families were safe.

The two of them were looking at the other guards trying to look as inconspicuous as possible when those guards started dropping simultaneously. Aïda was frozen to the spot when Koos shoved her, telling her to run. She wasted no time, opening the fence, she ran for the nearby woods.

Aïda gave one long glance back at Koos before turning back around, when her face smashed into a hard surface.

Aïda looked into a pair of eyes she had hoped to never see again.

"You? I should have known it was too good to be true."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Zoë and Martin were chatting in Aïda's office when Zoë suddenly got a phone call, she looked nervously at Martin before rejecting the call. Martin was curious, but said nothing.

"It's nothing important, just someone trying to selling an insurance package to me. I..I'm already covered, what would the point be of getting more cover." She muttered.
"Yeah, those calls can be so annoying." Martin agreed, Zoë's phone rang again.

Zoë looked at her phone nervously and back at Martin, who was starting to feel like the third wheel.

"You attend that call and I'll get back to the kitchen," Martin said.

Martin got out as quickly as he could sensing that the call was probably not about insurance, he suspected that it was the same caller as before and that it was a private matter.

Zoë made sure that Martin was out before answering, "Hello? Mmm, okay. I'll meet you there as soon as possible. See you."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

In Plattekloof Johanie had just gotten home, from the set of the drama series that she was acting in, when her phone lit up with Adriaan's number.

"Hallo, waar is jy? Ek sal jou daar kry." (Hello, where are you? I'll see you there.)

Johanie grabbed her handbag and was out of the house in record time.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"Ouch! I guess I deserve that." The man in front of Aïda said.

"You deserve worse," Aïda said taking a swing at him.

He grabbed her fist before it could connect with his skull.

Suddenly the place errupted with the laughter of men. Aïda realized that she was surrounded. She felt hands around her waist. Without thinking she gave the person behind her a head bud, but due to her shortness she only hit him in the chest. His hands were still on her when the one in front of her spoke again.

"She's a fighter, I can see why you fell for her, Aden," Craig said with a smirk.

Aden? Aïda turned around so fast the her head spun, Aden caught her.

"Easy, Angel. We're not your enemies, we've come to save you."

Aïda could not believe her eyes. She reasoned that it must have been a dream.

"No, you're not dreaming. My incredibly handsome face is really in front of you," Aden teased.

Usually Aïda would have said something smart, but she was just too happy to see him, so she gave him a tight hug instead.

"Enough you two, we've still got work to finish up here," Kannemeyer spoke.

"Yes, he is right, the two of you will stay here, with some of the policemen, while Kannemeyer and I go to the farm," Craig gave the order.

Kannemeyer and Craig introduced themselves to Aïda by their designations and showed their identifications. Aïda was surprised that Craig had done something useful with his life and her face showed it.

"Detective Kannemeyer are you going to arrest those people? They're not criminals, they were afraid for their lives and that of their families. So, please be lenient on them," Aïda begged.

"We will take them into custody and interrogate them, only then will we come to a conclusion," Kannemeyer said.

"Let's go. We can't risk those men waking up now, otherwise things will become messy," It was Craig speaking.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Half an hour later all the people on the farm were taken into police custody and taken away. The place was a hive of activity with crime scene experts collecting evidence.

Aden and Aïda were enveloped in each other's arms when Craig and Kannemeyer joined them in the woods. Aïda had spent most of the time in tears, the tears were both happy and sad.

"We have to go now, the meeting between him and the accomplice is about to take place. Najwa is there but Craig and I want to be there as well," Kannemeyer said.

"I want to go as well, please! I want to look her in the eye when you arrest her," Aïda said.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Aïda, besides, what if things get messy? We can't take the risk," Craig responded.
"It's okay, Craig, we'll keep her and Aden safely away from everything," Kannemeyer said.

"I'll make sure that nothing happens to my angel," Aden chimed in.
Grunting, Craig gave in. "If anything happens to them, you'll take full responsibility Kannemeyer."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Bainskloof Pass

Najwa and her crew were hiding between the chalets, waiting for the accomplice to arrive when Kannemeyer, Craig and two of their men arrived.

"What is he doing at the river? Now it will be so much harder for us to get to them undetected," Kannemeyer complained.
"It's nothing that a bullet to the head can't solve, but I suppose that you'll want him alive. He had human rights afterall," Craig said, not caring at all about the culprit's rights.

"We have that under control, some of our men and women are dressed as cleaners. Everything will be fine," Najwa tried to assure them.

Meanwhile the couple hidden inside a chalet. A policeman and woman were standing in the doorway to ensure that they stayed put.

Suddenly everything went quiet as a car came to a halt before the tollgate at the Camp.

Aïda knew who it was, but still she felt compelled to look. She went over to the window and watched as the woman spoke to the gate watchman, who was actually an undercover cop.

Aden stood next to her, watching the woman enter. She parked her car and made a phone call, obviously to the Aïda's capturer. As she talked in the phone her her eyes scanned the area, she quit the call after about thirty seconds.

The woman was about to walk when she looked around again, Aïda felt a chill up through her body as the woman's eyes connected with hers.

"She saw me," Aïda whispered.