Chapter Fourty One

It was two months later and the day had finally arrived for the grand opening of the second Tuis Kombuis. 

The new place was not far away from where Aden lived in Clifton.

Yes, Aden had moved back to the Cape after Aïda was found. The London club did not want to let go of him at first, but they feared backlash from the public, Aden and Aïda had become #couplegoals during the kidnapping saga. People loved the fact that Aïda was an ordinary woman, many identified with her. Aden of cause had been one of the golden boys of South African rugby, but he was also loved for his down to earth nature off the field and his giving heart. The premier rugby union in the Cape had wasted no time at all in recruiting him.

Soon enough Aïda would be moving in as his wife, in fact, the wedding was due the next day. Theirs would be the first wedding at the venue.

Aïda looked at the breathtaking venue with it's  beautiful sparkly crystal chandelier hanging from the high ceiling in the ethereal looking glass palace, even the tables were made from glass. Yes, the entire place looked like it was made from glass except for the staff rooms and the toilets.

"So, how did I do, Chomma, huh?"
"You did a fantastic job, Zoë," Aïda smiled and gave her bestie a tight hug.

A minute later Aïda pulled back from Zoë, wiping away at the tears that were escaping down her cheeks.

"Hey, don't cry, okay. Just wait untill you see how beautiful I've done Aden... I mean your your future home. It looks like a Scandinavian dream. You'll never want to leave home or even your bedroom for that matter, as I've outdone myself there," Zoë bragged.

"Hey ladies, may I come in?"

Both of them turned around to see Craig standing on the treshhold, a sheepish grin on his face.

"How can I refuse the best man? You're always welcome, Craig," Aïda said with a warm smile.

Aden had forgiven Craig, so did Aïda.
Craig had his faults, but he was very good at his job and loyal to his family.

It was only due to his initiative that she had had been found safe and sound. He had gone undercover at her stepfather's favourite drinking spot one night, kidnapped him from there and interrogated him.
It was not that hard to get information from James Majiet, but Craig kept him hidden, untill after they rescued Aïda for obvious reasons, he would have probably told his wife and they could not risk her life and the lives of everyone involved. Still nothing was certain as James was known for bragging and making up stories and what he told Craig sounded unbelievable. What mother would help plan her own daughter's kidnapping and than sell her off for money, but Evelynn did and she had zero remorse.

According to James, he had tried hitting on Aïda when she was sixteen, he married Evelynn when Aïda was fifteen,but Aïda told her mother. Evelynn told Aïda to leave her house if she did not respect her husband. Fortunately, Aïda lived at a boardingschool, she was home for the winter holidays, but she went to her Grandmother for the bulk of those June holidays, not even telling Evelynn where she was. She was too afraid that she would have to go back and face James.

Evelynn's mother was not a fan of her own granddaughter. Charlotte Völlenhoven hated her 'too African' features and never hesitated to tell her that.  She used to call Aïda derogatory names when she was angry with her. She openly favoured her other grandchildren, but the woman never hesitated to call Aïda for money. She came to her senses on her deathbed, but she did not have Aida's last number and Evelynn promised to forward it to her, but never got around to actually doing it. So, she died without making peace with her granddaughter.

After hearing all of that from James, Craig felt even worse for his stupid feelings and actions back then. The poor girl had a horrible life and he made it worse by effectively separating her and Aden. Even though, Aïda had heard the wrong words that Friday so many years back, he was still to blame as that conversation should have never happened. Aïda's kindness made him feel even worse. Argh!