36

Azias' POV

I stared blankly at my phone screen before allowing my eyes to flicker over to where Sapphire lay. She was on her phone as well, which I didn't mind, I was just unfamiliar with her being so distant. Usually, she was trying to make conversation or at least would make eye contact with me every now and then. Tonight, however, she was very cold. Even when I tried to talk to her, she avoided me. She had been that way ever since I got back from buying the protection she asked me to get.

Lowkey, I missed my little chatterbox.

"Hey," I said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" she asked, her attention never shifting from her phone.

I brought up, "Remember that second date I told you I was thinking about?"

"I'm not really in the mood for anything tonight, Reaper," she said while slowly turning onto her other side.

Reaper? Why the fuck did she call me that?

"I was more so thinking of something for tomorrow, and why did you call me that?" I frowned.

I didn't tell shawty my name so she could go about calling me what practically everyone else did. Besides, her calling me by my name made things feel more personal between us, and I liked that because it meant we were getting closer. Her calling me Reaper felt off, and I felt as if she was upset with me for whatever reason.

She decided to play dumb and ask, "Call you what?"

"Reaper."

"Isn't that what everyone calls you?" She asked.

"You're not everyone..."

"And I'm not family either," she pointed out. "We're not even together for any of that matter."

Catching on quickly, I frowned, "Is that why you've been acting funny today?"

"How am I acting funny?" she asked instead of answering my question.

I could sense a fight coming, and I didn't want that for us.

"I'm not doing this childish shit with you," I sighed, already annoyed.

She then shrugged, "I mean, when I ask questions, you don't answer them either."

"You're how old again?"

"I don't know, you're the one running background checks on people," she pettily replied, and I sighed again before turning my back to her. She was getting on my nerves. What is she even upset about? I thought to myself. I figured I'd just give her space for a while since she clearly didn't want anything to do with me.

Morning
My eyes flickered to Sapphire, who had rolled over to me and snuggled into my chest. She was still asleep, which I found a bit funny because if she was awake right now, she'd definitely be far away from me on the bed.

Enjoying the moment, I wrapped my hand around her waist and pulled her body closer into me. Her scent filled my nostrils and gave me a type of comfort that I had never gotten from lying beside someone before.

There was just something about her that I couldn't seem to let go of. I knew that I was getting even more attached to her, despite her tendencies to push me away instead of talking to me when she'd feel a type of way. I wanted to get to know her dark sides as much as her bright side, and I was willing to embrace it all if she'd be able to do the same for me, but I was scared that I'd open up to her about who I really was, and she'd run away forever. I didn't want to let her go as yet, so I wanted to delay opening up for as long as I could to keep her around longer.

I knew that was selfish of me, but I wasn't willing to give her up. She made me feel like a kid all over again, and above that, she made me feel things that I never felt with anyone before. She was more than a pretty face to me.

I was developing really strong feelings for her, and I didn't want to let go of them.

I listened to her steady heartbeat as she dug her face into my side and wrapped her arm around me. Her eyes then flickered open, and I expected her to pull away from me, but instead, she placed a kiss to my cheek before greeting, "Good morning."

Is this a test? Was our fight last night a dream?

"Good morning," I greeted back, and she smiled lightly. I expected her to have an attitude with me, being that we hadn't reconciled after our mini argument.

"How was your sleep?" she asked while staring into my eyes. She looked so pretty even though she had just woken up.

I answered, "Good, you?"

"Good," she answered. After a moment of silence, she apologized, "I'm sorry about last night. I sometimes tend to pick fights instead of talking about my feelings. It's kind of my toxic trait, but I'm working on my communication. You honestly didn't deserve that, and I'm really sorry."

I nodded, "It's alright. I was just confused about what I did wrong."

I was happy to know that she knew her problematic areas and was willing to fix them. It made me feel better about what a relationship with her would be like. If we could both accept and correct our wrongs, we could actually last together. I wanted to know what I did wrong so that I could be more mindful of it. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her and not even know that I did.

"Nothing," she said with a sad smile. "I just let my own thoughts put me in my feelings, and then I took that out on you."

"What were you thinking about, if you don't mind me asking?" I cautiously asked. The last thing I wanted was for her to flip out on me, but I figured that she was in her feelings because whatever she thought of involved me.

She nervously sighed while looking away. "I was nervous about having sex with you because I didn't wanna end up your fuck buddy or just a fling. I really like you, and that scares me because we're not together and I don't even know much of your past to know the type of guy you are relationship wise. All of those thoughts were running through my head, and I panicked and decided to push you away."

"I really like you too, and the reason why I don't open up much is because I'm scared that you'll get to know me and run for the hills," I explained. "As for sex, it wasn't my intention for you to be a fuck buddy or fling, and as for a relationship, I was holding off on that for the same reason I was holding off on opening up." She gave an understanding nod while snuggling further into my chest, and I let out a nervous breath for what I was about to do next. "I promise to open up more to you in portions." She nodded again, and I grew even more nervous.

I gently nudged her chin upward so that she could look me into my eyes. I then balled up some courage and asked, "Will...um...will you be mine?" For a moment, it felt as if the world had paused as she stared into my eyes, and I could feel my heart accelerating out of my chest. I had never felt this nervous before about anything. I started panicking, wondering if she'd reject me, and I felt my chest growing tight.

"Damn, nigga, why your heart beating so fast?" she joked, and I forced a faint smile. "I would love to."

Four words: I would love to. They replayed over and over again in my head, each time bringing a different level of ease into my body until all the nerves had vanished.

"Then I'm yours," I vowed before bringing my lips to hers, but this time, I initiated a tongue kiss, and she willingly accepted it. Kissing her felt different from all of the kisses I shared with other women. With her, it meant something. With her, it was more than just a flirty response or a passage to sex. There was passion, nothing like what I had felt before, and I knew I wanted this feeling forever. I wanted her forever.