42

I wouldn't allow them to kill Azias, as much as I wanted my freedom

I wouldn't allow them to kill Azias, as much as I wanted my freedom. Besides, they could have been trying to fool me. They'd kill Azias in my apartment and then maybe frame me for it, and I wouldn't even be able to say who's responsible for the murder because I didn't really know their identities. Was Michael and Ricardo real names to begin with? I didn't even know their last names, much less who the Boss was. They'd probably have me killed in prison too.

I was going to trick them instead. I'd ask Azias for 600k, and I would be bringing the money into the apartment. I'd mask 500k with some clothes and throw it in my suitcase before heading back into the car. No one would suspect that I had the money still. Half a million dollars would be enough to hire a private doctor to treat my mom and find somewhere to hide out, or at least I'd have to make it enough. Asking for more than that would raise alarms for Azias. 600k was already a lot, but I knew I could make a good argument for it.

As for the Boss, I'd tell Michael that Azias got suspicious and decided to change the plans. I'd have to orchestrate a different plan to alleviate suspicions on either side, but that was something I planned to think about later today. Right now, it was time for breakfast, and I refused to let this situation deprive me of eating. I needed all the strength I could get for when it would be time to go on the run.

Azias' doctor would be checking in later today to see the condition of my ankle. I'd start planning my escape after that.

Later that day
"Your leg will be fine around next week this time, so long as you continue to avoid putting pressure on it," Doc promised.

I sighed, "Another week?!"

I didn't have that much time. I needed my ankle healed right then and there!

Doc chuckled, "You've only had the cast on for one week. Luckily, your ankle wasn't badly injured. You could've had it on for a whole month or even have had a more severe injury."

"You're right," I agreed, choosing to be grateful.

"Don't worry, this time next week you'll be back to normal," Doc said as he grabbed his belongings. "Have a lovely evening."

I smiled, "You too," and he nodded with a smile before leaving. Doc appeared to be a really nice guy. He and Giorgio were the kindest, least scary men on Azias' team. I wondered why they would work for someone like Azias, who was clearly into some bad things. I ruled that they were well compensated and that the money was enough for them to not question things.

My first instinct was to text Azias about the news from the doctor, but I didn't know if he wanted to know. He didn't cancel my appointment with his doctor, so I knew that he still cared. I just didn't know if he wanted to hear from me after our argument three days ago.

Still, I decided to text him the update. I just wanted to hear from him.

At least he cared to know how I was doing health-wise

At least he cared to know how I was doing health-wise. As for having a personal convo with me, Azias seemed disinterested. He was so distant, and I hated that. I felt as if I had just started getting to know him. We had taken one step forward only to have to take a million steps backwards.

The sound of the front door opening was enough to send two other doors flying open and for Rose's and Emily's happy screams to fill the house. I assumed that Marco and Ace had made it back.

I hadn't told Rose or Emily that Azias and I were fighting, so I knew it wouldn't take long for them to come knocking on my door, asking why Azias wasn't here.

Startling me out of my thoughts was a knock on my room door. Emily and Rose came much sooner than I had thought they would come; nevertheless, I invited, "Come in."

The door opened, and standing at its entrance was none other than Azias himself.