40

My phone began ringing, and I noticed that Azias was trying to FaceTime me. I had just settled into my new room, and he had been gone for about ten minutes. I eagerly answered with a bright smile on my face, getting ready to tease him about missing me already. However, that smile quickly fell when I saw Azias holding the burner cell that I had gotten from Michael and Ricardo.

"Aren't you gonna say something?" he asked as I blankly stared into the phone.

"Not sure what to say," I answered.

"Who are the two numbers in here?" Azias questioned.

Not answering his question, I asked, "Why do you have the phone?"

"I'm asking the questions."

"And I'm not answering."

"Don't fuck with me right now," Azias warned. "Why when I called the numbers and said hello they both hung up?"

"Maybe because they didn't want to speak with you. It's not your phone, after all," I shrugged.

Azias wore anger clear in his eyes, and I was actually shaking from fear on the inside, but I needed to keep calm in order to get myself through this. Really, I wanted to let the tears flow out because I was certain I fucked up what we had going.

"Why do you have a burner?" He finally asked.

I couldn't tell him the truth. He'd hate me forever, not to mention the danger I'd be putting Rose and my mother in if he were to retaliate against me. I need to play my cards right, or else his car would be on its way back here so that he could dispose of me himself.

I thought for a while before answering, "The person who killed my dad gave it to me. Apparently, my dad owed him a lot of money, and he said that I only had a limited amount of time to pay off my dad's debt. He keeps contact with me through the two numbers you called."

I hadn't lied yet. I knew I needed to be partially honest with him in order to lower his suspicions and buy me enough time to figure out how I'd get out of this mess.

"Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" Azias asked, anger still in his eyes. I could tell that he hadn't completely bought my story.

"You already thought I was a gold digger," I shrugged. "I wanted to earn the money, which is why I agreed to dance for you. I earn the money and pay off my dad's debt. Simple as that."

"How much do you owe?"

"Don't know. I was never given an amount. Each time I deposit the money, I get another request," I lied.

His face softened a bit, and he took a moment before breaking his silence. "Don't keep shit like this from me again. When I get back, I'll pay off whoever's blackmailing you."

"I-"

"End of discussion," he said before hanging up, and I sighed as I put my phone down.

I was honestly more worried about whether Michael and Ricardo thought I blew their covers than the cold treatment I was bound to get from Azias.  If they thought that their cover was blown, they'd go after my mother, Azias, and me. Azias wasn't even aware of the fact that he had spies amongst his group of men.

I was paranoid that the bodyguards outside the house were all working for the Boss as well. I didn't know who else he had pretending to be loyal to Azias. It dawned on me that anywhere that Azias owned was unsafe, even if he thought it was the safest place on earth.

I was in a mouse trap, and even though I could see the exit, I was stuck watching it as I awaited whatever fate had coming.

Startling me out of my worries, my phone began ringing, and I found an unknown number calling me. Nervously, I brought the phone to my ear and answered, "Hello?"

"Why does the target have the burner?" Michael questioned.

"He found it in my room," I answered. "I didn't know that he had it. He didn't say anything until after he left the house."

Michael questioned, "What did you tell him?"

"That I owe the person that killed my dad money and that I've been paying off my father's debt," I detailed. "He's committed to paying off the debt when he gets back."

I heard an annoyed sigh from Michael before he informed, "I have to report this to the Boss. Expect a call later."

"Okay," I nervously replied before the phone hung up.

Fucked, that's what I was. I was so fucking fucked. I needed a way out of this mess. I needed a plan that would ensure the safety of everyone I cared about.

I wanted to tell Azias the truth, but how could I when I wasn't sure who in his group was working for the Boss? He could fire or hurt Michael all he wanted, but that wouldn't get him any answers. He had operations going on even in California, which meant that he probably had spies there as well.

Besides, before telling him, I'd have to make sure my mother would be safe, otherwise the Boss would be alerted of Azias' awareness and would retaliate against me first.

The only thing I could think of was to run away, but I needed a few safeguards first. For one, I needed enough money to continue my mothers treatment. I also needed money to travel and find a safe place for us to hide. Second, I needed to actually find that safe place so that I wouldn't live in fear of getting taken out by anyone. My mother and I would probably need to split up so that if danger followed me, she'd still be secured. Rose would also have to come with me because Azias or the Boss might hurt her to get to me.

I had a lot of things to account for with so little time.