Part 9

"Both you and Ryujin were inseparable before."
"So what happened?" Lia became impatient.
"Do you remember the car accident that your sister passed away in."
"Of course, how could I forget."
"You were in that accident too."
"What? That was only a few years ago, how can I not remember?"
"That's the thing, you can't remember."
"I don't understand."
"You were diagnosed with amnesia."
"So I forgot everything?"
"Exactly, including your friendship with Ryujin. You both got into different middle schools and then the same high school. We thought it would be good for you to be close again."
Lia paused. "So you're telling me I forgot Ryujin, all the memories, everything?"
"Yes Lia."
She started to tear up.

She stayed up all night thinking about her conversation with her father.

So that's why Ryujin already knew so much about me. That's why I get these random moments being played in my head. Why wouldn't they tell me earlier.

Ryujin started calling her. Lia felt weird but answered anyway.

"Hey Lia."
"Hi Ryujin."
"Your father told me that he told you everything."
"Yeah he did."
"Sorry."
"Why are you sorry?"
"For not telling you before."
"It's okay, I can understand."
"Hope we're still on good terms."
"Of course we are. We were never on bad terms actually."
"You're right. Okay then, goodnight Lia. You must be tired after today, quite busy."
"Are sleepy Ryujin?"
"No not really."
"Then don't leave now. Can we talk for longer."
"Sure, if that's what you want."

Lia and Ryujin talked for hours and hour, completely forgetting that they had to wake up for school the next day. Lia liked the sound of Ryujin's voice and peacefully slept after their conversation.

The next day came.

"Ok class, please pick a partner to work on this assignment." The teacher announced. All the students in the class quickly gathered around Lia's desk. "Hey Lia will you work with me!" Some students shouted. Ryujin sat on the desk next to Lia but noone gathered around her. She was smart but not popular. She laughed as she saw Lia being
overwhelmed but felt bad. She got up boldly and shouted, "Sorry guys! Lia is working with me!" The whole class turned to the girl and immediately backed away. They never saw Ryujin like that. The crowd immediately moved away from Lia's desk, giving her space to breathe again. She smiled at Ryujin and whispered 'thank you.'

And of course, people started shipping them more. Ryujin and Lia didn't even hide their closeness now. They still didn't care what people thought because no matter how much people shipped them, they were going to get married. It made no sense to give attention to the rumours.

"Is it okay if I drop you off home?" Ryujin asked Lia.
"Yeah of course, why not. I'll get my things quickly."
"Take your time." She smiled.

And just like that, their engagement was right around the corner.