Chapter Twenty-Nine: August

Chapter Twenty-Nine-August

It went on like that for three months, Charmelle had a son and Kai was excused from the fight to protect his family. I was due any time now, and I was depressed and huge. I got up and slowly went down the steps, waddling my way into the kitchen to see everyone and their mates. I just sighed and began to make myself something to eat when I felt strong kicks. I put my hand on my stomach, amazed by the feeling. If there's anyone in the world who knows how to cheer me up it's these babies.

"How're you feeling?" Zyre asked playing in Stella's hair.

"Like a water balloon." I said. "With marbles inside of me."

"Do they kick?" Kyle asked.

"All the time." I said smiling. "They are now." Everyone rushed over to feel. They stared in awe.

"Where the hell is Ashton?" Raziel asked. "He should be here with you, I mean after all this is what he wanted."

"He's setting up battle preparations." Quinn said. "We're going in, in less than three days."

"He told everyone to spend these few days with their mates and families." Raziel said. "He's not here." I shrugged and turned around.

"It's fine." I said trying to sound positive. "He promised to protect what was his."

"And he's not fulfilling his promise, you're due any day now, and if he misses the birth of his firstborn he won't ever forgive himself." Xenon said.

"As I've said, it's okay." I said. "I probably won't be due for another week."

"Cubs aren't the same as human babies, Myra." Quinn said. "Especially spirit children. They come when the spirits say so."

"Well hopefully these spirits are as patient as I am." I said bitterly, annoyed, everyone became silent, not knowing what to say. I put a hand on my head and frowned. "I'm sorry, dad." I murmured. "I just need some space, okay?" I said softly and waddled out just to catch Ashton walking in the door more stressed than I was, but I wasn't in the mood for his company. I walked past him just shaking my head.

"Where are you going?" He asked sadly.

"I dunno." I shrugged.

"Are you gonna drive or walk?" He asked.

"Most likely drive." I said bluntly.

"Well, then I'm coming with you." He said and helped me out. As badly as I wanted to push him away I knew I needed his support, besides he's already stressed out enough. He doesn't need my bullshit on a platter.

"You didn't have to come." I said rolling down the windows in the car.

"Why would you say something like that, Myra?" Ashton asked obviously offended.

"Why don't you just read my mind and find out." I said bitterly.

"I can't." He muttered. "I haven't be able to read your mind since the babies have developed." I snickered, he briefly looked over just to roll his eyes. "Don't even."

"I bet it bothers you that you have no idea what's running through my mind." I said looking out the window.

"Yeah, it does." He admitted. "Because I've been away from you for so long, I know you're mad at me. I just really don't like this."

"I understand that you're busy, and at first I was completely okay with it. But then you stopped coming home. You would have people I've never seen in my life come watch over me and the girls but really all we wanted was the comfort of our mates. We're safer with you, and you're never here for me. So I've put all of my hopes into my babies, I mean after all I'm the only one taking care of them right now."