Chapter Seven: Shine

Ash carried me through the forest and to his house, once inside he looked to his pack members, “don’t let them past here.” Ash said firmly. They nodded and went to guard the door. I didn’t know what was going on, all I know is that I was trembling a lot and that I started burning up inside. “Hang on, cupcake, we’re almost there.”

“Where are we going exactly?” I asked. “What’s going on?”

“You’re about to shift into a little werewolf.” Ash said excited. “We’re going out back, so after you shift you can let your wolf run, that’s what she’ll want to do.”

“Why can’t Kai come?” I asked.

“Because he’ll try to stop the process.” Ash said lowly. “And if he tries, you can die, or be permanently mid-shift for the rest of your life.” I didn’t even try to stand up for my brother because I knew that’s something he’d actually try to do. “You’re not in pain are you?”

“No, I actually can’t feel… anything.” I said. “Should I be scared?”

“No, stay just the way you are—stay calm. It’s good you don’t feel anything, shifting is painful.” He said. He took me outside his house and began to pick up his pace. “Jesus, you’re burning up.” He muttered. I stopped listening and talking to him as my vision began to get blurry and all sounds became drowned out. “Myra?” I couldn’t speak; it felt like my tongue had swollen up and got stuck in my mouth. “Myra?!” Ash asked again. He began to run even faster until we were in the heart of the forest. He set gingerly set me down in the grass and began to check my pulse. “Myra?! Fuck! Myra you have to stay in there!” Ash said. “Shitshitshitshitshit. Myra!” my eyes fluttered closed and I succumbed to the darkness behind my lids—that was short lived. A sharp pain shot through my arm and ran directly to my heart jolting me awake. I jumped up and felt my ribcage expand. I doubled over screaming out in pain. Ash instantly grabbed my hand and squeezed it hard. “Myra, baby, you have to listen to me—look at me.” Ash said turning my face to him. I could see him clearly even though tears streamed down my face. “Say something, Myra.”

“Make it stop.” I cried. Ash shook his head.

“Hold on to me, we’ll get through this together—just stay in there. I promise I will be here for you.” He said his eyes searching my soul. I nodded and felt more bones start to expand and reshape themselves all at once intensifying the pain I was already going through. I opened my mouth to scream but as soon as I did my brain felt like it caught on fire—nothing escaped my lips. I needed this pain to end, when would it? Just as I was begging for the pain to end a cooling sensation washed over my body. The reshaped bones were now just stretching out to become long furry hind legs and forearms. As the rest of my body transformed I just rested on the ground, letting the cooling take over the burning and the pain. I kept my eyes closed enjoying the feeling. Although it was short-lived I enjoyed it while it lasted.

‘Myra.’ I heard from inside my head. My eyes shot open and I took in everything, my senses were heightened—I felt invincible! A wonderful scent passed my nose and I inhaled deeply trying to find out where it had come from, I turned my head and came face to face with Ash in his wolf form. He smells delicious. ‘Talk to me, Myra.’ How? ‘Just direct your thoughts to me.’ He said his voice echoing in my head. So I tried.

‘Ash?’ I asked directing my thoughts to him. ‘Is that you that smells sooooooooooo delicious?’ his eyes flashed a bright white.

‘Whatever you do, don’t tease me.’ Ash told me his eyes ice cold.

‘Why not?’ I asked walking circles around him.