A Date

(Heyyy guys! Sorry for the hiatus, school was getting to me but I'm back and almost finished with the story!... maybe)

As you wake up early on a Saturday morning, you decide you'll surprise Zim with a shopping trip. His uniform is too... obvious. He needs new clothes anyway. You send a quick text.

You: yo Zimmy

Zim: YES

You chuckle, he doesn't seem to mind the nickname anymore.

You: I have a surprise for you :)

Zim: I LIKE SURPRISES

You: cool! its a date! Be there in a bit

You throw your phone back on your bed and get ready for the day. Tak stays in bed, only letting out a grunt when you say goodbye. You grab your wallet full of human monies and start for Zim's house.

It isn't far, which is a plus. You rap on the door.

"Zim! It's (Y/N)! Open up!" you yell. GIR opens the door and lets you in.

"Master's in the kitchen!! He won't let me make him WAFFLES!" He threatens to cry, but you pat him on the head. He calms down instantly.

"I'm sorry, GIR. Maybe you can make waffles later." You try to soothe him. He nods and hops on the couch.

Zim is waiting at the kitchen table, twiddling his thumbs. His eyes land on you as you enter. A smile grows on his face.

"Welcome, (Y/N)! Now what was that surprise you had for me?" Straight to the point, you guess.

"I'm gonna take you clothes shopping!" You cheer, "you always wear that uniform so I'm gonna help you blend in!"

Zim physically recoils, "No way! I don't need help! Zim is fine as he is!"

"Zimmy, baby, let me do this one thing for you." You try to think of words to say, "You've always... helped me, and now I wanna help you! Come on."

He thinks for a moment, "Very well! We shall shop until we shall drop! Come along!" He starts to pull you by the hand out of the house, quickly barking orders to GIR on the way. He takes you to his voot and starts the engine. You remind him that you know the way, and he begrudgingly lets you drive.

Zim starts boasting to your annoyance "Irken technology is simply superior to humans'! I doubt you'll ever—"

"Zim, I know how to drive this." You turn on invisibility and begin pulling out. "It's, uh... like driving human cars."

He squints at you suspiciously, but says nothing. Glad that's over.

The ride to the mall isn't too long, just on the outskirts of the city. Luckily, you catch on quickly; you know how to parallel park. You look over at Zim who is in disbelief.

"That was... exceptional! I expected no less from my companion!... good work..." he becomes a little shy at the end, but it's the thought that counts. You hop out of the driver's seat and wait for Zim so you can go in together. You get weird looks from other customers in the parking lot, to which you give a scowl to. Your friend says some profanity, causing you to stop in your tracks.

"Zim!" you gasp, "where did you learn that?"

"Oh, please," he scoffs, "you think Zim has never said a human curse? Zim hexes fools often!"

You snort, "Zim that's not what cursing means," he's a little confused, but he's got the spirit.

The two of you step into the mall and immediately find a clothing store. You usher him in to look at suitable clothes.

He finds a few pairs of black jeans and leggings. You send him to the dressing room and wait outside.

"Just come out when you have a pair on, I wanna see how they fit," you say. He gives a thumbs up from the inside. After a few seconds, he timidly comes out of his stall. You beckon him over and he comes.

You gently slip a hand between the jeans and his hip, "Look! They fit perfectly. You won't even need a belt. Turn around, lemme see the size," you glance backwards to find an employee staring you down.

"I'm sorry," you snarl, "would YOU like to check?"

The embarrassed employee shakes their head and quickly leaves you two alone. After a moment of silence, Zim bursts out laughing.

"Oh come on, Zimmy. It wasn't that funny," you chuckle. He's still busy laughing.

You quickly check the size and tell him to grab a few pairs that are the same. When he comes back, you allow him to pick out a couple shirts he likes.

He tries the shirts on, and nearly all of them fit. You sling everything over your arm and head to check out when Zim suddenly brings over a pink jacket. He puts it on the counter.

The cashier looks at him with a look of disgust. You sigh and roll your eyes at her.

"Are you going to do your job and check me out or do I have to do it?" You tap a finger on the counter. She puts her head down and begins scanning your items. Satisfied, you turn to Zim and see him full of glee.

"I love you," you whisper.

"What?" He says

"I said I loved those jeans on you! Obviously!" You fake a laugh and nudge him in the arm. What is wrong with you?

He takes the answer and stares at the jacket he picked out. You have to admit, it looks cute. Once all is said and done you two head to the invisible voot. Zim insists he drives the way back— you might have hurt his ego a bit.

~~~

Zim practically bursts through the door and runs to his washing machine. You've never seen him so excited about anything. You wait on the couch for him to finish.

"Hiya, pretty lady!" GIR greets you.

"GIR, I'm not a girl. Please call me something else."

"YES SIR!" He salutes you, his eyes becoming red briefly.

So he can go into duty mode, you think. You backpedal a little.

"GIR, why did you salute me? I'm not your master." you ask. You thought SIR units would only listen to their masters.

"Well yeaaaaaahh, but you're Master's boyyfrienddd," he sticks his tongue out and smiles.

"B-boyfriend?" you stammer, but then shake your head. GIR must have meant friend that's a boy. Not boyfriend.

However, you're still touched that Zim programmed GIR to listen to you. You'd have to thank him later. A yawn escapes your lips; you must not be fully rested. Surely Zim wouldn't mind if you took a nap on his couch.

"Hey, GIR," you grab his attention, "I'm gonna take a nap, do you mind being quiet?" He salutes again, and you lay down.

Once you settle down, the little robot hops up and snuggles into your arms. You almost cry at the gesture as you hug him. Luckily you're able to fall asleep quickly.