⫷ 37 • Reminiscing Old Days ⫸

It's funny thinking about how I planned through to survive in my childhood. I was only thinking about myself back then. But the result of it all had me meet such an amazing person standing right in front of me.

"It's been a while, Jane." The man smiled at me.

"Yes! Your hair is beginning to grow white, Mister Harris. Haha. How have you been?" I cheerfully replied as I approached him.

"Guess I'm already an old man now" He laughed. "I am living my peaceful life like usual. And our little miss who grew a lot seems to appear the same as well." Comfort could be found in his voice. He was really happy to see me, and so was I.

"Of course! I am the same little girl you used to guard a few years ago. Is my Proteus being a good boy?" I ruffled the big wolf sitting beside me. "You are not troubling him, right?" I asked my wolf who gave a light howl as if saying that he was being a good boy.

"You raised him well, Jane. He listens to me well which is really surprising for me." He assured me with a satisfied smile. "Oh! And they are..?" He glanced at the two men standing behind me.

"They are my close acquaintances." As I finished, William stepped forward and introduced himself then later Fred did the same.

"It's a pleasure meeting you guys. You are surely here for something important so let's head inside to discuss." He gestured us to get inside the house.

We entered the house and sat on the wooden chairs offered to us by Mr. Harris. He served us tea before finally taking his seat. Meanwhile, Proteus was curled up right beside my chair, not wanting to leave me.

I remembered how I met this little guy.

*7 years ago*

His mother was hunted by the hunters and his siblings were left behind. In broad daylight, a whining puppy whose body was shaking but was still standing. He was continuously crying. Anyone can tell he was in pain just by listening to his voice.

That day, I was returning home after meeting Alice when I suddenly heard his cry. I asked to stop the carriage and when I came out, A gray-haired puppy was seen. When he saw me, he started crying louder. I quickly ran to him.

"My lady, it's dangerous. That's a wolf breed! Its mother must be nearby-" Mr. Harris screamed worriedly.

"Mister Bodyguard, If the mother wolf was here. It couldn't have looked this starved and weak. Besides, you'll protect me if I encountered any danger, right?" I pointed at its condition. The pup was barely standing. I slowly bring my hand close to it so I can pat but step back. More like he was telling me to follow him. I stood up and ran toward the direction it was going.

"My Lady!"

"Please follow me if you are worried!" I responded to my bodyguard. He immediately ran after me.

It took a while before we finally stopped. The pup stopped near the thick bushes inside the forest. As we crossed the bushes, we saw four more of its kind sleeping there. That is what I thought back then. The pup ran to his siblings and started pushing them with its small head. But they didn't move at all.

"Oh my god!" I realised something was wrong with them. The two pups cuddling each other were looking lifeless. My hands were trembling as I slowly brought my hand closer to them. Just a little touch and I immediately snatch back my hand. Dark emotions were taking over me once I realised their bodies were stone cold. The pup kept crying while trying to wake them up without knowing they already left this world. None of them survived and the one that was crying was left behind on the verge of death.