Chapter 46

Episode 12, The Western Air Temple

I had been sitting in my new room for a few minutes now, drowning in my own thoughts.

That was until Katara came in with a small smile, "There you are."

I quickly put on a smile since I didn't want her to know I heard all of that. Katara's face fell and I let out a sigh. My acting skills? Non existent.

"You heard him didn't you?" She said and closed the door behind her.

"Well, kind of," I shrugged my shoulders, trying hard to seem unbothered by the whole situation. I didn't get why I couldn't simply hate this boy after all he had done.

She sat down beside me with a sigh. "You know, you have really bad taste in men," she said and let out a short chuckle, trying to ease the tension.

"Thanks sis," I said with a fake chuckle. There was a silence, both of us not knowing what to say.

Katara cleared her throat, "Do you still... Do you believe him?"

I lowered my head and looked at my lap. "I don't know, but somehow I do," I answered truthfully.

"And do you still like him?"

I bit my lips and nodded slowly, "I guess, I don't know. Okay, maybe yes." That sounds as confusing to me as it does to everyone else.

Katara put her hand on mine. "You know, he's still the enemy. You should forget him. It's the best. Besides, I think Haru might have a crush on."

I shook my head and slapped her arm and blinked the tears away. "I don't like Haru in that way, I met him like a few days ago," I said and gulped. I was close to crying.

Stupid mind, it's been months since I last saw Zuko in Ba Sing Se why do I still have to be so sad about it.

"Well, he likes you," Katara trailed off and I slapped her shoulder.

"You know," I started in a whisper, "I actually believe that Zuko meant what he said."

Katara raised an eyebrow at me. "Jasmine, please," she put a hand on my shoulder, "I know you still somehow like him but that shouldn't blind you. He is a bad guy and the enemy. You should just let him go even if gran-gran always says 'you never forget your first love'."

I sniffed and wiped my eyes. "That's easy for you to say, the guy you like is peace and innocence in person. He would never fool you or something," I told her as my voice cracked and tears welled up in my eyes.

"I was fooled and betrayed and to be honest I don't even know if Zuko was being honest when he was so nice and loving. I'm not sure if he only faked that he liked me to get to Aang. And the worst thing is that I still like and believe him and I would forgive him and jump right in his arms immediately if he said sorry. I just can't hate him. That just doesn't make sense!" I cried.

Toph entered the room as Katara pulled me in a tight hug. Toph immediately joined our hug while I sobbed.

My cries, sobs and tears died down after a few minutes and we pulled away.

I wiped my eyes while Katara looked at me with sympathy. Toph punched my shoulder slightly.

"Were you eavesdroppig?" Katara asked her with raised eyebrows.

Toph only shrugged and I let out a small chuckle as I shook my head. She knew about Zuko before Katara did.

"Don't be so sad over some boy," Toph said with a smile, "You'll get over it and the next one won't try to, well, try to kill and capture your friends and family."