Chapter 56

Episode 16, The Southern Raiders

Hey Mai,

Are you alright? I know we're not that close yet but I can't help but be worried. Azula doesn't seem to be someone very forgiving. I hope you managed to get around any punishment after helping us or got out of the prison at least.

I'm thinking about asking my dad about what he knows, though I'm a bit reluctant. This letter might be annoying but I have no one to talk about this.

Please write back to me if you're alright.
Yours
Jasmine

With a sigh I folded the paper and gave it Hawkie, who flew off right away, before joining the others for breakfast.

It's been two days since we escaped and everything continued like normal. Firebending training was going well for Aang and it was great spending time with dad again but Katara still hated Zuko.

After breakfast, I cleaned the dishes when dad approached me. "Let me help you," he said in a soft tone.

"No, you go rest, it's okay," I said with a smile but he insisted on helping me. So I washed the dishes as he dried them.

"So," he started after a few moments. I stopped washing and looked up at dad. He glanced at Zuko's and Aang's direction. "Zuko is your boyfriend?"

I froze, my face heating up. Pressing my lips together, I looked away. "Uh..."

An awkward silence consumed us with neither of us looking at the other. It is weird to talk about your boyfriend with your dad. I bet it was Sokka that snitch.

"Sokka told me," dad said after clearing his throat, "Well, some of it."

I knew it. Sokka and his big mouth.

"Yeah," I trailed off, not really knowing what I should say.

"Don't worry," dad said and shot me a warm smile when I looked at him, "I won't tell you to break up with him or stay away from him. He seems like a good guy."

My eyes flickered over to Zuko, who was already looking my way with a small smile. I smiled back and slightly nodded. "Yeah, he is," I said and turned to my dad.

"You're still my little girl," he said and ruffled my hair before putting his hand on my shoulder. I pouted slightly and crossed my arms as dad chuckled before his features softened. "And I don't want you to get hurt. But as long as you're happy I'm happy, just be careful."

I hugged dad immediately and he let out a laugh and patted my head. "Thanks dad," I mumbled into the hug with a smile, glad that dad was so understanding.

We parted the hug and dad put his hands on my shoulders. "Now let's get these dishes finished, shall we?" I nodded quickly and we got back to work.

Every now and then, I glanced at dad and gulped with a heavy feeling in my chest. The Zuko-topic might be off the table now but there is still the mom-topic I want to ask dad about.

I tried to get to the topic several times while we were doing the dishes, but I couldn't bring myself to ask or rather I chickened out the last moment.

After we finished, I went into my room and let out a frustrated groan, clasping my hands over my face.

"Why can't I simply ask him about it?" I asked myself as I plopped down on my bed, letting out a sigh.

Not even a minute later there was a knock on my door and Zuko entered.

"Are you alright? You kinda looked frustrated," he said and stood in front of my bed, eying me.