Chapter 57

Episode 16, The Southern Raiders

Okay okay, hold up. Mom was almost arranged to Fire Lord Ozai. I expected almost everything but not this.

In addition, dad said Ozai was in love with my mom and that it was already kind of an obsession. He wanted her to be just his and he wanted to have her every move under control. No one should look or talk to her.

"She told me that she would run away from home immediately and that we should meet up somewhere in the Earth Kingdom. Of course, I agreed immediately and made my way to our rendevous place. We met up and I took her with me and not soon after that we got married. Gran-gran accepted her immediately as her own despite being Fire Nation. We were so happy until we got a letter from her sister via messenger hawk."

"Your mother hadn't told anyone where she went and with whom, no one knew of our relationship. But the letter said that Ozai wanted to know where your mother was and that he would look for her until he found her. Since then we had been very careful with everything. Your mother rarely sent letters to her two friends and her sister, never mentioning anything beside her being well and about you kids."

"Then one time your aunt sent another letter, saying that Ozai is now Fire Lord and that he had married Ursa. But he had found one of the letters your mother had sent his brother. In this letter she had only mentioned Jasmine but unfortunately also a water tribe and your aunt warned about Ozai sending out people to find your mother and Jasmine. I honestly don't know if he is still after you or not."

Okay, the truth is more twisted than I expected it to be. Never would I have thought that mom was involved with the Fire Lord. That's just insane.

Dad took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a brief moment. It must hurt him to talk about all this.

"Have you ever met mom's family?" Sokka asked, eying dad closely. That question piqued my curiosity as well as I straightened my back. If he has, then he must have seen the royal family as well somehow.

"No, I haven't," dad shook his head slightly. "As far as I know you have one aunt and a cousin around your age."

I nodded and hummed. "We also have a baby cousin," I said with a small smile when I remembered the cute baby boy from Omashu.

All heads turned to me and I gulped. Shooting them an innocent smile, I remembered that my siblings didn't know that I knew all of that.

"And how do you know that?" Sokka asked making me shrug slowly.

"I might have already had a little family reunion," I trailed off, avoiding looking at my siblings. My eyes stopped at dad who smiled slightly and nodded briefly.

Katara's jaw dropped and she narrowed her eyes at me. Great, as if she doesn't hate me enough already and now this. "You knew all along?" She slowly asked.

I nodded slowly and Sokka, who had briefly glanced at Katara, gasped putting a hand on his chest. "I thought we wouldn't keep any secrets!" He dramatically exclaimed.

I knew he was halfway joking and I was glad for that. However, that didn't mean that I didn't feel any less guilty for not telling them earlier. Letting out a sigh, I looked at my lap, playing with my fingers. "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier. But I didn't know how you would react and defeating the Fire Lord is way more important. This would have just distracted all of us from our task at hand."

Sokka nodded before grabbing my shoulders. "Who is our cousin?" He asked, shaking me.

"Sokka stop shaking her," dad said with a bit amusement in his voice.