Chapter 61

Episode 18, Sozin's Comet: Part 1: The Phoenix King

Aang immediately continued training with Zuko and Katara and me watched them.

"There's one technique you need to know before facing my father," Zuko said and stood opposite of him. "How to redirect lightning."

My face lit up and I sat up staighter immediately. I wanted to learn that as well since I had seen Iroh use it one time.

Zuko stretched out one hand, his index and middle finger pointing at the sky. "If you let the energy in your body flow, the lightning will follow." He used his other hand, also his index and middle finger, and put it on the wrist of the stretched out arm. He moved his fingers down his arm, over his stomach and then stretched his arm out. "You turn your opponent's energy against them." He repeated his movemet with his other arm.

While watching him, I did the same movements as Zuko.

"That's like waterbending!" Aang's eyes widened and he smiled.

Zuko briefly nodded. "Exactly. My uncle invented this technique himself by studying waterbenders."

Aang followed Zuko's moves as well. "So, have you ever redirected lightning before?"

"Once, against my father."

Jumping up, I pointed at myself. "Let me try as well." Zuko whipped his head in my direction as I walked up to them. "Hit me with some lightning."

"What? No!" Zuko exclaimed and shook his head.

"Aww come on, I can do it. I'm ready." I pouted slightly and Zuko and Aang looked at me like I lost my mind.

"Are you crazy?! Sit back down, idiot," Zuko said and turned away from me. I pouted and sat down beside Katara with a huff.

"What did it feel like when you redirected it?" Aang asked when they got back to repeating the movements.

"Exhilarating." Zuko stopped and looked at Aang who did the same. "But terrifying." Aang's excited face fell. "You feel so powerful holding that much energy in your body. But you know if you make the wrong move... it's over."

I tensed and Aang let out an unsure chuckle. "Well, not over over, I mean... there's always Katara's spirit water action. Am I right?" He looked over to us with a hopeful expression.

"Actually, I used it all up after Azula shot you," she admitted and Aang's shoulders dropped.

"You'll have to take the Fire Lord's life before he takes yours." Aang looked terrified by Zuko's statement and looked away.

The thought of killing someone was just too horrifying for the poor kid. He couldn't hurt a fly and besides, it was against his morals. To be honest I don't think he would be able to do it, even after all the training he went through.

In order to prepare ourselves for the upcoming fight, Sokka made a training plan for us.

We had to fight the Melon Lord, who was Toph. Basically she had to shoot us with burning rocks to prevent us from getting to the Melon Lord which was just a figure made out of sticks and a melon as a head.

Everything went well and we distracted Toph until Aang managed to come out of hiding. However, when he landed right before the Melon Lord, he couldn't give him the final blow and stopped.

"What are you waiting for? Take him out!" Zuko exclaimed but Aang only lowered his head.

"I can't." He shook his head and I bit my lip. The poor guy had too much responsibility for a kid.