Chapter 7: Heart

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Polly asked, watching Sprig and Anne doing something...that could probably go wrong.

Sprig laughed. "Of course! She has Heart's powers, she'll be fine!" He then loaded in his slingshot with a few rocks. "Ready, Anne?"

Anne took a deep breath. "Yeah! Fire!"

Sprig then fired the rocks...and instead of turning blue, she got hit by them. Anne cried out in pain, being hit in the one place that didn't have armor. Her arms.

"OWWWWW! What the heck?!" Anne exclaimed. "That really hurt!!!"

"Sorry, I thought you'd dodge or hardly move!" Sprig cried.

Anne just growled. "You're gonna wanna dodge!" She said, feeling anger boil in her.

"Sorry!" Sprig said before he gasped. "Anne! Anne! Your hair's blue again!"

Anne tilted her head before looking up and gasping, it was indeed blue. "Whoa! Do these powers only work when I get mad? Am I like The Hulk or something?"

"The...who?" Polly asked, raising an eye.

"Nothing." Anne said, brushing it off before her hair and eyes went back to normal. "Agh, what?! Hang on!" She then clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. "Okay! Angry! Angry! I am so angry! SO ANGRY!"

Sprig and Polly looked at each other before looking back at Anne.

Anne continued this process for a solid 5 minutes before opening one of her eyes. "Did it work?"

"No." Polly said, shaking her head.

Anne sulked, sitting down. "Darnit. I get superpowers and they only work when I get angry! Was Heart always mad?"

Sprig shrugged. "I dunno! The stories said she was very kind, but I've never met her personally. She's just super famous. Even though she's kinda...dead."

Anne hummed, deep in thought...before one of her brain's gears came loose and she gave up. "UGH! I'll never get it then!" She sulked...before her hair turned blue again.

Sprig gasped. "ANNE, BLUE! BLUE, IT'S BLUE AGAIN!"

Anne looked up and smiled. "Hey! It is! Guess it works whenever I'm sad or mad?" She then stood up, but it turned back to normal since she wasn't either mad or sad. She impatiently tapped her foot before sighing. "Okay, there's gotta be a better way to do this! Maybe...maybe if I get like, super super happy?"

Polly hummed. "You smell not terrible!"

"Thanks!" Anne said before looking up. "But that wasn't enough. What makes me happy?" She then thought long and hard. "Okay. Cats, my phone, Marcy, video games, my house, and my bike. I don't have any of those things." She sighed.

Sprig blinked. "What is a phone again?"

"Oh, yeah, I never finished telling you." Anne said. "It's like a weird rectangle."

Sprig's eyes widened. "Oh! I saw that in your satchel!" He said before running into his house and coming back with Anne's phone! It was orange, with a cat phone case on the back.

Anne gasped and smiled wide, holding the phone like it was the most precious thing in the world. And sure enough, her hair and eyes went blue. "BOOYAH! IT WORKED!" She exclaimed before flying high into the air, zooming around the top of The Plantar's house. "HOLY COW, I'M FAST!!" She cried, her voice in an echo as she zoomed around in circles.

Sprig nearly got dizzy from watching, while Polly just badly wanted some powers of her own. Eventually, the other villagers noticed this and ran over. 

"That's just like Heart!" An old lady said. "I should know! I met her."

Anne heard this before quickly flying down, crashing right into the dirt, but quickly getting up. "Wait, you actually knew her?!"

"Oh! Where are my manners?" The old frog said, a spider crawling onto her head. "I am Mrs. Croaker."

"Anne! Anne Boonchuy." She said, shaking the old frog's hand with a smile.

Sprig laughed. "And I thought Hop Pop was old." He whispered to his sister before a shoe hit him in the back.

"I HEARD THAT, BOY!" Hop Pop exclaimed.

Anne couldn't help but laugh, her hair still flowing and glowing its blue color before she faced Mrs. Croaker. "So, what was Heart like? Could she do anything special or something?"

Mrs. Croaker hummed. "W-Well...now, hang on, dearie. I met her when she was really old. She could do a lot of things. She had amazing strength, she could fly, and was incredibly fast. Maybe even shiny...l-lasers? I think that's what the kids called it. But all I TRULY know about her powers is that she could only use 'em when...when, uhh...oh, oh! Right! Whenever she felt a strong something. Happiness, anger, sadness, or fear."

Anne hummed. "So, whenever I'm feeling one emotion in particular, they activate?"

Mrs. Croaker cupped her ear. "Huh?"

"Nevermind. Thank you!" Anne said before smirking and flying high into the air again, zooming around the sky as she cheered.

Polly sighed. "I wish I could fly...I wish I had LEGS."

"I like tulips!" A frog cried.

Meanwhile...

Grime walked around Toad Tower, watching his soldiers salute to him as he walked. He grinned at that. It had been a week or so ever since they caught their prisoner, and now? Things had never been going better.

He was once the most feared and strongest warrior in The Colosseum. And now? He was second in command to THE Toad Queen. Wielder of Strength's Warhammer and ruler of all toads, even in The North, The West, and The East Towers.

Grime then stepped into her throne room and knelt down...before a woman in crimson armor, and gladiator helmet, a black cloak around her neck. "My Queen."

"Grime." The Toad Queen said, setting down her warhammer. "How was my little assignment?"

"It was a success." Grime smirked. "My spies tell me that there is a human in Wartwood. A human like The Three Stars."

"Interesting..." The Toad Queen hummed. "Tell me more."

"She has Heart's powers. She goes by the name Anne Boonchuy."

The Toad Queen was silent for a moment before standing from her throne. "Bring her to me."