Chapter 28: Cloaker

"Where have you been?" Mrs. Boonchuy asked, wiping away her daughter's tears and her own. "W-We thought you ran away...! D-Did you...? Is it something we did? S-Something I did?"

Anne sniffled and hugged her mother a bit tighter, shaking her head. "N...No...I didn't wanna leave..."

"Then...where were you?" Mr. Boonchuy asked, taking out twigs and leaves from Anne's hair.

Anne wiped her eyes, remembering that one moment where Marcy shoved her out of the way. She closed her tearful eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Boonchuy quickly got the impression that she didn't wanna talk about it right now.

While they did want to know, they were just happy their daughter was safe and back in their arms.

That's when Anne's cat, Domino, walked over and onto Anne's lap. Anne sniffled and ran her fingers through the cat's fur. "H-Hey, my sweet baby...I-I missed you..."

Mrs. Boonchuy smiled a bit. "He missed you too, Anne...we b-both did..."

Anne nodded, her armor still feeling incredibly heavy. "I...okay, I...there's some people I w-want you to meet. They'll explain everything...b-because I...I can't...can't..." She hugged herself, shivering. "T-They watched over m-me while I was g-gone..."

Mrs. and Mr. Boonchuy seemed a bit suspicious, but they shrugged it off. Mr. Boonchuy then looked at his daughter. "Then, where are they?"

Anne then stood up and walked to the door. She opened it and then made some kind of noise. A signal.

And that's when The Plantars hopped out. Hop Pop looked at the Boonchuys and laughed nervously, waving. "Heyyyy, fellow adult! How do you-"

And that's when Mr. Boonchuy fainted. Mrs. Boonchuy, on the other hand, grabbed a rake. "Tāy mnus̄ʹy̒ t̀āng dāw tāy!"

"MOM, PUT DOWN THE RAKE, PUT DOWN THE RAKE-"

One long explanation fit for a fanfiction based off a popular TV show on Disney Channel later...

"And after we charged the Gems? Sasha suddenly came right in and took the box, saying The Night was alive! And that's when Andrias turned on us!" Sprig exclaimed.

Mr. Boonchuy's eyes were wide, while Mrs. Boonchuy was rubbing her head, as if she was trying to process all of this. Mr. Boonchuy then spoke up. "Wait, wait...so...Anne had crazy blue powers after being...transported to a world called Amphibiland-"

"Amphibia." Hop Pop corrected before chuckling. "Sorry."

Mr. Boonchuy nodded. "And she took the armor of a dead person and basically became a superhero?"

Anne blinked. "Huh...when ya put it like that, it sounds familiar."

Mrs. Boonchuy wanted to doubt all of this and demand a real explanation...but on the other hand, she was talking to walking, anthropomorphic frogs. She couldn't exactly...NOT believe them.

"Okay...then what happened?" Mrs. Boonchuy asked.

Anne's eyes widened a bit and she held Domino closer, while Sprig and Polly looked to the side. Hop Pop sighed. "W-Well...honestly, I don't know how to say this lightly..."

Mr. Boonchuy grew a little nervous.

"...Sasha started fighting Andrias, and as we were trying to use the Calamity Box to make a portal...The Night tried to attack Anne and..." Hop Pop took a deep breath. "Marcy pushed her out of the way...and...she's gone..."

Mrs. Boonchuy's eyes widened in pure HORROR, and Mr. Boonchuy was left frozen with shock.

Anne felt tears begin to stream down again and she began to cry again, remembering that vision they had. Why didn't she believe Sasha? She could've saved Marcy. She could've done...something. Something to stop Marcy from being pulled into the darkness. Something to stop her from dying.