Chapter 15: Sprivy...and Anne

Anne, after having beaten her best friend and cause Toad Tower to retreat, was in what we in Amphibia like to call:

Magical Depression.

Sprig hopped down to the basement. "Hey, Anne! Ready to go on an adventure possibly involving death and magic?!" He asked, purposely being enthusiastic to pump Anne up.

Anne was wrapped around in three blankets, eating a pack of ketchup she had gotten from Toad Tower. Her hair and eyes were glowing blue. "...I'm good."

Sprig immediately felt depressed just by watching before rubbing the back of his neck. He then walked over. "You're still healing from yesterday?"

"Y-Yeah...I FOUGHT my best friend! I mean, yeah, she was being toxic! But I...I think I went overboard." She sighed.

"Didn't she try to kill Hop Pop?" Sprig asked, tilting his head.

Anne was silent before blinking, and then sniffling. "I...I guess that does make me feel less bad. I just...it's hard to break up with a friend. I'm sorry if I'm bringing you down."

"No, no! Take as long as you need!" Sprig reassured. "You're not in my control, you do what YOU want."

Anne smiled before suddenly hugging Sprig's little body like he was a plushie.

Sprig laughed before blinking. "Uhh, can you let me go?"

"Just 20 more minutes." Anne said, smiling as she closed her eyes.

Sprig looked from side to side before shrugging.

Later that day, Anne had fallen asleep and The Plantars were left with their thoughts. Sprig was with Anne's sword, humming as he carefully looked at his own reflection in it.

Then? He was suddenly karate chopped in the back. Sprig cried out, dropping the sword.

"Haha! Gotcha!" A familar voice said. And sure enough, it was the frog that had caught him yesterday. Ivy.

Ivy was a family friend in a way. She had known Sprig since they were tadpoles, and the two always played together. She was the only frog who handled Sprig's antics, since she joined in on them. Not to mention, she was a fan of martial arts.

Sounds like a hoot, right? Err, ribbit.

Sprig smiled. "Ivy! I wasn't ready!"

Ivy smirked and crossed her arms. "That's the point of a sneak attack, dummy!"

Sprig laughed before he put his hands up, swinging them at Ivy, who quickly began blocking his attacks. The two kids laughed as they had a pretend duel.

"So! You survived an attack from The Toad Queen! How does that feel?" Ivy said as she swung her foot at Sprig.

Sprig dodged and then swung his fist at Ivy. "Pretty AWESOME! Not for Anne though...she's still broken up about it."

"Oh, frog. I didn't even think about that." Ivy said as she blocked the fist and then swung her own. 

"Yeah." Sprig said, catching Ivy's fist. "I'm worried about her. Sasha's totally evil! She tried to kill Hop Pop for froggin's sake! I can't believe they were even friends."

"Maybe she wasn't always like that?" Ivy asked, stopping their fighting for a minute.

Sprig shrugged. "I...I guess? There are some people who are born evil."

"Like???" Ivy asked, crossing her arms.

Sprig tried to think before he snapped. "The Night!"

"...touche." Ivy said. "He did ONE good thing though. Gave us the night sky!"

And she was telling the truth. The Night's one good deed to not only Amphibia, but the universes beyond? Giving it the night sky. It was a creature born out of darkness after all.

Some villagers wondered if The Night felt remorse, or any emotion except bloodlust and hatred. Those thoughts were immediately taken away when The Night burned or murdered entire villages just for the thrill of it.

Ivy then noticed Anne's sword and went over to it. "Oooh!"

"Oh, be careful with that!" Sprig said. "I'm watching over it for her!"

Ivy chuckled. "I'll be careful." She said, looking at her reflection through the blue blade like Sprig had. She ran her hand across the blade. "Amazing how it still looks so brand new. Despite it being THOUSANDS of years old. I'm surprised its even standing!"

"Ya think Heart's ghost polished it?" Sprig asked.

Ivy laughed. "I...huh. I don't actually know."

"Well, we should probably put it back."

"Yeah...we probably should...OR..."

Sprig faced Ivy and then gasped, an evil grin appearing on his face.

Anne sighed before taking out her phone and looking through photos of her, her family, and her friends. She missed her parents. She missed her house. She missed her cat. She missed her best friend...Marcy...

As she thought of her name, she came across an old video. When she and Marcy were 12 years old. Marcy was completely focused on the screen.

"Hey, Mar-Mar!" Anne said. "Say hi!"

Marcy just kept button mashing, her tongue lightly out as she was completely concentrated.

"Mar-Mar?" Anne asked.

Marcy mumbled something, a grin across her face. "C'mon! C'mon!"

Anne laughed. "She can't hear me. You're cute sometimes, Marcy."

Marcy's eyes widened and she whipped her head around, her cheeks red. "Huh?!"

Past Anne panicked, falling on her back, dropping her phone. The recording ended there.

Anne snorted and laughed. "Man, Mar-Mar was always so distracted...I hope she's ok..." She then suddenly stood. "I'm gonna make sure she is! Hang on, Marcy!"