Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: An Unexpected Visitor

The next morning, the kids seemed a bit more tired than usual. Even Tony, with his usual talking, was dragging his feet across the hard wood floors not uttering a single word.

"What's gotten into you kids?" Maria asked, leading the children to the kitchen for breakfast.

Steve yawned. "We're tiwed."

If it had been a few days ago, Maria would've praised the high heavens for their goominess and lack of energy. But at that time, it only seemed odd.

She shook her head and helped the kids into the chairs. Phil was cooking eggs and bacon for breakfast, and hopefully it'll wake the kids  up. 

Maria deemed it pointless to give the kids any warnings. Thor was drooling on the table, and Natasha was trying hard to keep her eyes open. So, Maria walked into the kitchen to be greeted by the fresh smell of breakfast.

"Where'd you learn how to cook?" she took out of the fridge a carton of milk and poured it in small plastic cups. 

"I don't know," Phil answered, turning off the gas. "I think I just like making - and eating - food."

Suddenly, JARVIS' voice rang. "There is a man on the door. Would you like to entertain him?"

Phil and Maria shared a curious look, before she shooed JARVIS away and went down the elevator. Now, who could be visiting the tower before 9 in the morning?

Maria found a man with a baseball cap sitting on one of the couches on the lounge area. His shoulder was straight, and his eyes darted around attentively. But it was the metallic arm that gave him away.

"Bucky Barnes," Maria said, confused. 

It's been over a year since the Winter Soldier incident, and months before, Bucky had come to SHIELD for some 'help.' Fury, whom with the insistance of Steve, allowed Bucky to reside temporarily on the ship. Maria hadn't seen Bucky for months. 

"Agent," he stood up, voice stiff and restrained. It was a shame. The traumatizing events in Hydra had changed not only his mind but his soul.

"What are you doing here?"

"I heard what had happened," Bucky said. "I came to see Steve."

Maria thought of what to do. Bucky, even though he doesn't have evil tendencies anymore, was still sort of mentally unstable. But Steve also has a problem with the other kids, being left out and all. Perhaps he'd remember his best friend.

"I'm not sure - "

"Please," he pleaded eagerly, a flash of emotion in his eyes. "Just for today. I promise I won't intervene tomorrow."

Maria sighed. "Fine. But I'm keeping an eye on you."

The two of them entered the elevator, Black Sabbath playing softly on the background.

"What's going on in the Helicarrier? How's Pym and Richards?" Maria asked, breaking the silence. Although she was doubtful if Bucky did know about the two scientists at all. He was always separated from everyone else.

"They're doing well, I hear," Bucky said in his breathy robot-like voice. "They're smart, aren't they?"

Maria only nodded. They reached their assigned level, and Maria could practically feel the anticipation in Bucky's moves. His strides were more loose, and a smile was small playing on his lips.

Steve was probably Bucky's only happiness.

As soon as they reached the dining room, where everyone was eating breakfast, Steve's head shot up. A grin formed on his face as he jumped down from his seat and ran acroos the room. He tackled Bucky's knees, clinging onto him.

"S - Steve," Bucky said, flustered. The little boy looked up at him with big, blue eyes.

"I missed wou!" he exclaimed happily. "Vewy much!"

Bucy smiled. "I missed you too."

Phil walked over beside Maria, staring at Bucky unsurely. "What's Bucky doing here?"

"Visiting," she said, a grin forming on her face. "You're not jealous, are you?"

Phil crossed his arms like a child. "No. Why would I be?"

She shrugged, but she knew the answer. Now that Bucky was here, he's gonna have some competition. 

"Come on, Bucky," Maria ushered. "Have you had breakfast already?"

"Mistew Phil made us eggs and bacon!" Steve said excitedly, sitting his diapered butt on Bucky's metal arm. Phil smiled, liking the fact that Steve loved his food.

"I'm fine," Bucky said. Steve frowned, which made Bucky melt. "Well, I guess a few strips of bacon wouldn't hurt."

"Kids," Maria rose her voice, causing the kids to turn to her. "This man is Mr. Bucky Barnes. He will be here for the day to... play."

Bucky seemed a little surprised for the term, seeing he only wanted to see Steve. The children, however, gave him cheery smiles. It reminded him of how he used to be, although those memories are only fragments.

"Bucky is my best fwiend," Steve proclaimed proudly. 

"Congratulations," Tony said sarcastically, playing with the yolk of his egg.

"Tony," Phil warned sternly. Who would want to ruin Steve's happiness like that?

Maria came back from the kitchen, holding a plate with three strips of bacon. She ushered Bucky to sit beside Bruce, who gave him a formal greeting, Steve stayed upon Bucky's lap, animatedly chatting about his adventures.

Luckily, breakfast came by in a whim. It appears as though the  children are very tired from yesterday's escapedes.

"All right," Maria clasped her hands,calling the attention of everyone in the room. "Who wants to watch a movie?"

Suddenly, it was as if she'd said the magic words.

"Ooh! Pearl Harbor, pwease!" -Steve

"Hungew Games!" -Clint

"HUMAN CENTIPIDE!" -Tony

"WHAT IS THIS MOVIE YOU SPEAK OF?" -Thor

"Well, Thor, a movie is a big picture which moves," Phil explained. "You watch it eating popcorn and soda."

"Now that that's settled, let's go to the movie room and watch a movie," Maria took Loki and Tony while Phil took Natasha, Clint and Bruce. Thor took Bucky's hand mindlessly, causing Bucky to momentarily flinch before succumbing to the little boy's cuteness.

This is gonna be one hell of a day.

+

WOOOOOOO BUCKY! <3

Sorry I'm just very passionate about him. He's da bomb dot com. 

Anyway, thanks to y'all for supporting and everything. You're all fab people <3 :D 

Until next time,

Han x