Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"Wake up, everybody wake up!"

Phil dragged his bare feet along the hallways of the floor. He went through Maria's room, Pepper's room, Bucky's room and the kids' room. He lingered for a moment on the door  frame, smiling slightly at the sight of the Avengers and Loki stacked together in their pillow fort.

Thor was in the middle, arms and legs spread out. Loki was on top of him, his head rested on his brother's stomach. Natasha was rested on one of the big pillows, Clint on the other side of her. Bruce, Steve and Tony were all curled up on the blankets at Thor's foot.

It was amusing how Tony's arms were spread across Steve's waist, snuggling on his chest.

Phil walked closer to them, making sure his movements weren't so loud. He knelt down in front of Tony, gently stirring him awake.

"Come on, now, wake up," Phil said, in his lowest voice.

Tony began to open his eyes, blinking slightly. The moment he woke up, the others began to as well, stirring around and rubbing tired eyes. Thor bolted up, Loki's head falling on the floor.

"Ow!" Loki rubbed his head.

"I am sorry, brother," Thor placed a hand on Loki's head, the big brother he was.

"Nat? Clint?" Phil called. The two master assassins opened their eyes immediately. They always were light sleepers. "Come on, we have to go somewhere." He stood up.

"Huh?" Bruce asked, sitting up, a fist on his eye. "But it's too eawly..."

"I know, Bruce, but we have to go," Phil smiled softly. He truly would miss these little troublemakers. They actually make him want to have kids of his own.

That moment, the other adults started to file in, dressed in pajamas. It seemed like Phil was the only one who has showered and dressed already. He can't blame them, though. After Phil's makeup session last night, everyone was  curled around each other on the fort, telling stories and sharing laughter. They fell asleep at around 12MN.

"I guess it's time to dress you up."

+

"Are wou going to weave us?" Steve asked, in a soft tone as Phil was dressing him up in a plaid shirt.

"Huh?" Phil looked up, confusedly.

"We heawd you talk about Doctow Pym and Weed," Steve said. "And that they would cuwe us."

Phil buttoned the last of Steve's button, placing both hands on his tiny shoulders. "We aren't going to leave you. Arrangements are just gonna... change."

Steve pursed his lips. "I don't want to go back to nowmal."

"What do you mean?" Phil furrowed his brows.

"I'm sowwy, but I heawd you talkin' to Miss Hill that we were gonna go back to nowmal, and that nowmal is when we're old. Like, '30 yeaws old' old!"

Phil smiled slightly. He didn't know how much Steve knew, but it was enough for the blond boy to have glassy eyes. "Don't worry. Normal isn't that bad." He placed a thumb across Steve's rosy cheek, catching a single tear.

"I wanna stay hewe," Steve sniffed. "I wike Tony, he's nice now. And Bwuce teaches me about cool science stuff. Thow and Loki fight a lot, but I wike them too. Nat and Clint look mean, but they said they wiked me so I wike them too. I don't wanna go back to nowmal."