Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: Last Night [Part 1]

Phil prepared the chicken breast into the counter as Maria scouted the cupboard for... some vegetable. 

"What was I supposed to get, again?" Maria asked over her shoulder.

"Celery, two stalks," Phil said. 

"Right," she found what she was looking for - on the corner, which was inconvenient - and set them beside the chicken. She eyed the ingredients laid out as Phil was heating up the pan. Needless to say, she was quite impressed. 

"Where'd you learn to do all this?" Maria asked, her elbow leaning against the marble counter. 

"I have a lot of time for myself," Phil answered with a smile as he cut the chicken with a really sharp knife. He moved way too quickly. "I mean, before all this happened."

Maria watched him as he continued on with his work. He was fast, and very focused on what he was doing. He seemed to have the procedure taped into his head. She found herself smiling to herself, unsure of why. 

"Uh, Maria? Maria?" Phil waved his chicken-gutty hand in front of her. She snapped into reality. "Would you mind answering my phone? My hands are kinda... slimy." 

She shrugged, "Sure." And that's when she noticed that his phone was on his back pocket. Pressed against his butt. Maria willed herself to be strong, and she was strong.

She fished his phone from his back pocket, and maybe kind of lingered in there a little bit, before accepting the call from the Director. 

"Director Fury," she answered, forcing her reddened cheeks to turn to normal. 

"Took you long enough, Agent Hill," Fury's fond, demanding voice filled the kitchen as she set the mode to loud speaker. 

"Just cooking up a meal, sir."

"I imagine the little tiny ones are doing well?"

Little tiny ones? "Yes, sir. They're actually on time out."

"Good," Fury's tone turned serious. "Pym & the other scientists have found a way to bring back the Avengers to their natural form. I suggest you get back here this instant, Agent."

"Oh," Maria said, not as excited as she thought she'd be. "Um, would it be okay if we ate some dinner first? I bet Thor's starving. Coulson's cooking something up, we could pack some take-out for you."

"Ha-ha," Fury laughed monotonously. "Well, if that's the case, then bring 'em here first thing tomorrow. We don't have time to lose."

"No, sir," Maria smiled at the chance that they were given. The Director hung up, just as Phil was starting to put the cooked chicken into the tray. "That was quick," she commented, picking up a piece and chewing it. 

"Is it any good? My cooking is kinda rusty," Phil paused from plating and looked at her with big, blue eyes. 

"It's amazing," she said. "The kids are gonna love it."

He smiled, and it was a small, genuine smile. One only Phil could master. "Thanks." He continued on with his work.

"Uh, do you need help with that?" Maria gestured to the plates. "I know how to put food on plates."

Phil laughed before nodding. "Of course you do. C'mere."

+

"Sh! Stop!" Natasha put her arm up as the babies neared a doorway. Loki bumped into Thor who bumped into Tony who bumped into Bruce who bumped into Clint who with all his self-control willed himself to not bump into Natasha.

The little red-head peeked slightly, the living room before her eyes. Seeing as nobody was there, she began to tiptoe quickly, her back on the wall, everyone else following suit. Thor, big as he is, hit his toe on the leg of the coffee table, causing him to screech,  "Ow!"

That was when she heard footsteps coming their way. 

The young ones didn't need an instruction to hide. Natasha and Bruce slipped behind the bookshelf. Tony ran as fast as he could behind the sofa. Thor, grabbing Loki's hesitant hand, dragged the two boys below the table. And Clint, well, he managed to get himself on top of the bookshelf itself. 

Maria made her entrance, looking around the living room suspiciously. "I could've sworn I heard something." She began to turn away when Thor, once again, bumped his head on the top of the table.

"Ow!" he screeched as Loki wished death upon his older brother. 

Maria knew exactly who that was. She, silent as she is, walked her way into the big mahogany table and lifted up the tablecloth. "I'm not even going to ask why you two got out," she extended her hands. "Come on, dinner's ready."

"We're not in trouble, Lady Maria?" Thor asked. 

"No," she smiled. "Not tonight." She pulled the boys out and instructed the other kids to get out of their hiding places. 

Tony ran into her and hugged her legs. Natasha and Bruce came out of the bookshelf and happily hurried to her. "Wait, where's Clint?" Maria asked. 

Hearing his cue, Clint jumped down from on top of the bookshelf, landing into Maria's feet. She almost had a heart attack. The tiny archer gave her a sheepish smile, rubbing the back of his neck as a form of apology.

"Well, you heard me, dinner time!"

+

Everyone ran into their respective places, as if they've done this a million times. Steve and Bucky were already there, obviously sitting next to each other. Maria has come to terms with the fact that Steve loved Bucky most, because that's how he was designed. And Bucky loved Steve the most too. 

Everyone immediately dug in after Maria sat on her seat. Luckily, no food was thrown at each other. Tony and Bruce were discussing what came first - the chicken or the egg. Natasha and Clint were communicating in their special way. Thor was trying to engage conversation with Loki, and Loki was kind of responding.

It was a miracle.

"They're turning normal tomorrow," Maria said to Bucky, as he forked a cut of celery into his mouth. 

He swallowed. "That's good. I still have a night with Steve."

"What? Where are you going?" Phil chimed in, obviously concerned after hearing Steve's name.

"I dunno," Bucky said. "Try becoming fully good again. Get a place to stay, a job? I - I just can't face him yet." Another cut of celery. 

"Are you sure?" I asked, my eyes darting to Steve, who has joined in on Tony and Bruce's conversation. Bucky nodded. 

The rest of the meal was spent relatively normal. Thor was bragging to everyone about how he once defeated a beast of 6 feet, and Tony telling him it was "bullshit."

Steve pointed his fork at the brown-haired boy and said, "Language!"

+

A/N: 

Hello there and thank you for being patient! We just ended school and I am able to finish this book this summer! 

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting. I truly appreciate it. 

Hang on tight for there are only 2-3 chapters left. uwu

Until next time,
Han x