Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen: Arts & Crafts

"What do we do now?" Maria nudged Phil, who was downing his sandwich slowly.

His eyes shot up. "Huh?"

"It's not like we can watch another movie again," Maria said. "That's kind of boring."

"Oh, so you don't want to sit around all day while the kids are behaved?" Phil teased, his lips curving into a smile.

"They grow on you," she defended. It was true. At first she would've loved to just sit around while the kids are in a tired state. But right now, all she wanted to do was run around chasing Tony with the kids having fun and laughing.

"How about some arts and crafts?" Phil suggested, finishing his food. He used his hands to dust off the crumbs off his jacket. "I think there's some paint over in the garage."

Maria grinned. "Great idea. You get the paint and we'll meet you in the playroom."

Phil nodded at the instructions and went off. Maria walked over to the children, who were gathered around Bucky to hear his story of his metal arm. Steve was eagerly listening, his eyes glistening with wonder.

"Enough story time," Maria clapped her hands, everyone's attention falling to her. "Let's go to the playroom."

The children cheered, happily jumping up and down. Out of instinct, they grabbed either Maria's or Bucky's hands.

Steve, who was on Bucky's shoulder, said, "Avengews Assembwe!"

+

When they reached the playroom, everyone immediately dissolved into groups. Tony took Bruce's hand and lead him towards a small red table. Thor insisted Loki sit with him on the blue table. The little Norse god hesitantly went off.

Natasha and Clint, being professional little babies, sat on the rainbow matted floor. Bucky put Steve down, in which the baby soldier took his hand and they ran to joing the master assassins.

Phil joined in later carrying a big box of paints, colored masking tapes, brushes, canvases and other artsy things. As soon as he put it on the floor, the kids took their equipment.

"You know, I'm starting to think this is a bad idea," Maria whispered to Phil as they watched Thor spray red paint on his shirt.

"You think?" Phil laughed, rushing off to aid the little god.

Maria, shaking her head and smiling, went to sit beside Bruce. He was painting a rather good artwork of a big, green monster. Not bad for a four year old.

Tony, on the other hand, was using crayons to color Iron Man.

"What do you think, Ms. Mawia?" Bruce asked, sliding his work towards her. His face looked so hopeful and innocent.

"I love it, Bruce," she said, ruffling his curly hair. He smiled. It wasn't like the smile the older Bruce would have given. This one was less calculated, less anxious, more sincere.

"Hey! How abou' mine?" Tony put his artwork in the air, grinning wildly. Maria shook her head, smiling, taking his work.

"Impressive," she said, looking at the smug little boy. "You should be a painter, Tony."

"I know," he said proudly.

Meanwhile, on the table of the Norse gods, Loki was grunting quite loudly.