Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Last Night [2]

Maria ordered the kids to get into their room right after dinner. Bucky, like a shepherd herding his sheep, followed them suit. Phil followed them too, just to make sure the kids don't get into more trouble like earlier.

She took all the plates and set them into the dishwasher. Suddenly, JARVIS' robotic voice filled the air. "Good evening, Ms. Hill. Ms. Potts is coming her way up the elevator."

"Oh," Maria quickly fixed herself up, walking towards the hallway. "Thanks, JARVIS. Can you clean the dishes, please?"

"No problem," the AI replied monotonously, as the sound of whirring machines replaced the silence. 

Maria walked across the hallway and greeted Pepper just as she was getting out the elevator. She still looked as professional as she was, but was slightly happier than usual.

"I've heard SHIELD found a cure," Pepper said, a smile playing on her lips.

"You heard correct," Maria smiled back. They walked together in the dimlit hallway, pace fast yet steady as they made their way to the kids' rooms. "And you're just in time. We're about to bathe them."

"Sounds fun," Pepper said half-heartedly. 

As soon as they reached the door, Maria turned to face her, pointing a finger into the redhead's direction. "You're on Tony duty."

Currently, the little billionaire was on the floor, appearing to be telling quite a comical story to his audience - Steve, Bruce and Bucky. Phil was nearby on the carpet, playing Pretend to be an Assassin with Natasha and Clint. The two tiny gods were huddled together on the bed, below the blankets. From the light emitting on the fabric, and Thor's constant mention of a huge monster, it seemed like the big brother was trying to frighten the little one.

As soon as Tony caught sight of Pepper, he paused from his presentation and ran over to her, wrapping his tiny hands on her leg. 

"Pep!" he yelled in excitement. "You'we back!"

Pepper knelt in front of him, smiling at the adorable little boy with his big brown eyes. "Yes, I'm back. And you smell. You know what that means?"

"Um," Tony pressed his lips together. "We goin' swimmin'?" 

Thor popped out from his blanket fort. "DID SOMEBODY SAY SWIMMING?"

"Thor, no," Maria smiled, sitting beside the blond god. "We're taking a bath."

And thus, the lethal assignment process was put into action. Tony was, of course, assigned to Pepper. And after the brunette's slight tantrum, Bruce was told to join them too. Maria immediately grabbed Thor and Loki's hands, admittedly growing pretty fond of them. Phil, albeit hesitantly, was tasked with Natasha and Clint. Lastly, Bucky was going with Steve. 

+

Bath time was surprisingly quite eventful. Thor wasn't really making any fuss, except for saying, "Loki, may we race in a swim battle?" over and over again. Maria lost count at 13, and she gave up trying to reprimand him. 

Steve was an angel, as always, but what Bucky figured out was he really didn't like conditioner. How he has beautiful hair without the use of those? He may never figure out, but the Winter Soldier can't help but chuckle at the adorable little kid he remembered from Brooklyn.

"I don' wike it," Steve swerved back into the water when Bucky offered the conditioner once more. "I don' wike it. Don' wike." 

It was a phrase that caught onto the little soldier ever since they were little. Although Steve liked plenty things, Bucky always knew the things the blond absolutely loathed. Bullies, bullies, and conditioner. 

It was a weird mix.

Bucky chuckled as he grabbed the shampoo bottle instead. He offered it to Steve, whose shoulders softened at the sight of the container. 

Steve nodded, smiling widely. "Yes. I wike it."

Bruce and Tony were being very obedient. They were too busy trying to find out how tsunamis were created to create a fuss with Pepper. She was exceptionally grateful, since the past week has been a hell-ride in Stark Industries. 

"You make splash and I record our observashuns," Bruce instructed. Tony set his arms above the tub and then in a second, splashed them down. Water sprayed Pepper's business outfit.

Tony, wide-eyed, covered his mouth. "Oops."

She spoke too soon.

As per usual, Phil came out of the bathroom first with a blooming Natasha and Clint. Who knew two master assassins are the easiest toddlers handle in the bathroom?