Five

Chapter Five: Shopping [3]

            “Loki, you have to promise me not to do that again, okay?” Maria looked down at the ashamed-looking Loki on her left. He merely nodded. Thor was on her right, who keeps glancing at his brother.

            It was almost 6, and they were headed to McDonald’s. When they arrived, Thor glared at the clown statue before walking inside. They found Pepper and the rest of the Avengers seated on a table. They walked to them as Maria sat beside Pepper.

            “Hey, what happened?” Pepper asked worriedly.

            “Loki tried to steal a Harry Potter book,” Maria answered, sighing. “Still a god of mischief.”

            Suddenly, Phil came with one tray full of boxes of chicken nuggets on each of his hands. He put them down, greeted Maria, and went to take the other two trays of soda and three burgers. He then sat down next to Maria.

            “What happened?” he asked.

            “Loki was showing his mischief,” Maria sighed, taking her burger and looking at the kids. She warned, “If I see food flying, everyone is getting a time-out.”

            “Not fair! What if I’m innocent?” Tony whined.

            “I highly doubt that,” Phil said, taking a bite of his burger. Maria watched the kids eat their nuggets.

            Bruce and Steve were taking one bite at a time, wiping their mouths whenever they had food in the edges in their mouths. Tony and Loki were using their plastic forks, taking one big bite and chewing like a little prince. Natasha and Clint were mindlessly chewing their nuggets slowly, like their older selves. Thor was devouring his nuggets, shoving one nugget every five seconds.

            “Thor, you’re going to – “ Maria started to warn, but Thor immediately started choking. Bruce, sensing danger, rushed behind Thor and inserted pressure on the little god’s stomach. After a few seconds, Thor breathed properly.

            “Good job, Bruce,” Pepper praised. Bruce nodded, but before he could return to his seat, Thor took him to a bone-crushing hug.

            “I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL, BANNER,” he yelled in happiness.

            “I – can’t – bweathe!” Bruce wheezed.

            “Thor, Bruce can’t breathe,” Phil touched Thor’s shoulder as he let go of Bruce.

            “I apologize, Bruce,” Thor apologized, as Bruce staggered back to his seat next to Steve.

            Maria thought it was amusing to see Bruce reveal his inner doctor. She decided it be best if she buys them toys and books later on after eating their food.

            After finishing in peace, the Avengers, Loki and their babysitters walked off to the toy store. The kids’ eyes glittered with joy, and it made Maria’s heart melt. They looked simply adorable. It seemed impossible that they were  the same people who saved the world from Thor’s evil brother.

            “You can buy everything you want, now go!”

            Tony dragged Bruce to the ‘Build-It-Yourself’ aisle. Steve ran off by himself at the soldier and action figure aisle. Natasha and Clint walked coolly at where the Nerf guns were. Thor and Loki, accompanied by Phil, wanted to just go around the store and find something they desire.