216. The Truth

Was it necessary to make such a fuss for a dream?

It was, of course.

Qi Le’an believed that it was never a dream.

It was all too much of a coincidence. He could feel the feeling of touch so clearly. The dream happened on the date of his death. Time and space relapsed. The nightmare system… Qi Le’an could not help but think of the people who had given him financial help before he left the country.

Elder Xu, the head of a scientific research project.

Qi Le’an sat on his grandfather’s old-fashioned bed, organising his thoughts.

His parents had participated in a scientific research project when he was very young and left their will to their son thirteen years ago. They left Qi Le’an a million yuan as well as a letter.

Thirteen years ago, it was in 2003.

His parents died nine years ago; and in the same year of their death, the letter was lost in a burglary at the law firm, that was in 2007.

In that same year, Qi Le’an’s grandfather, who had been looking after him, passed away because he could not bear the grief. After that, the house was occupied by his eldest uncle.

If something was to be hidden here, where would it be hidden so that his eldest uncle would never be able to touch?

Qi Le’an’s gaze turned to his grandfather’s portrait hanging on the wall of the room.

As evil as his uncle was, he was nothing more than an uneducated farmer. He believed in ghosts and gods and feared them. When Qi Le’an’s parents died, there was no portrait of them in the room because there was no photo of them. But after his grandfather died, someone from his parents’ research company helped Qi Le’an make arrangements for the funeral.

If there was anything in this house that his uncle could not possibly touch or destroy in his lifetime, it must be his grandfather’s portrait!

Thinking of this, Qi Le’an took two steps forward and looked at his grandfather’s portrait. Grandpa’s gaze was kind, just like he was looking at Qi Le’an as a child.

“Grandpa…” Qi Le’an said with shaking lips, “I’m sorry… I have to get to the bottom of this.”

He bowed to the already dusty portrait and took it down from the wall.

Qi Le’an operated precisely and opened the back cover of the frame, and his pupils shrank.

Inside was indeed a letter.

An old-fashioned yellowish envelope with a slightly unfamiliar script on it.

The words said, “For Le’an.”

Qi Le’an took a deep sniffle and tilted his head to suppress the flow of tears.

It was true, it was all true. Even if he didn’t know why, it was all true.

He had embraced his mother in the ninth year after his parents had died.

Qi Le’an took the letter out quickly, then hung up his grandfather’s portrait. He did not choose to leave, but opened the letter where he was.

It was a letter from home written in fountain pen and had two pages of paper.

“Le’an, it must be 2016 now and you have passed the moment of our reunion. Your mind must be full of doubts. But don’t be afraid. Mum and dad will tell you everything.”

“As written in the last letter, mum and dad are involved in a scientific research project that could change the history of mankind. And just as everyone feared, the experiment failed.”