Chapter 50: Love

Sail - Awolnation ( Slow and Reverb ):

Lou held Debbie tightly in her arms and calmly whispered nice comments. But the sweet remarks only tore Debbie's soul more, in search of a heart. Debbie gently shoved Lou's hands away from her and escaped Lou's tight embrace.

"Debbie, hey, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Debbie replied coldly.

"Here. Come here." Lou swung her arms wide open, waiting for Debbie to fill in the space. But Debbie just left it there, abandoned. "Debbie, baby, what's wrong?"

"Don't baby me, Lou."

"Wha-- where's this coming from?"

Debbie sighed and sat on the edge of the bed, distanced away from Lou. "Lou."

"Yes, Debbie."

"Be honest with me."

"Always."

"Do you... Why do you... Do-"

"Debbie, just say it."

"Do you love... Heather? I mean you both are still together right--"

Lou interrupted, "What? Debbie that's not even relev--"

"It's a question. I expect a yes or no."

"It's complicated." Lou sighed.

"How do you continue the game? I mean you both are still dating. Doesn't it hurt you to know she's with someone else?"

"Heather and I are... not really a thing. We broke after a little while after you left, then we became a thing again- god, I don't even know what the thing we had between us. But she kind of saved me from drowning." Lou stood up, walked towards the sliding door and was about to step out to the balcony, when Debbie asked another question.

"Why'd you guys break up after I left?"

Because only then I realized the biggest mistake of my life. Letting you go, Deborah Ocean.

"Well, because, things didn't really work out."

"And how'd you fix it? Because you both were back again right?"

"We didn't fix it," Lou glanced out in the opening view through the transparent sliding door. The beach. The sand. The Ocean. Then she remembered her Ocean. Deborah Ocean and decided to view her. Lou turned around and faced Debbie directly. "Well, I never fixed my part. I needed someone to grab my mind off things. And well, Heather's main job was just for sleeping. We didn't really have a relationship. Just used her for sleeping and to forget some stupid sh*t I did."

"What type of sh*t."

You damn well know, Ocean. Both knew what Debbie was doing, so Lou went on with the little game.

"Well, sh*t that ruined a lot of things."

"What did it ruin?"

"A beautiful woman's heart."

"A woman?"

"Yes, stranger." Lou grinned.

Lou brought in the stranger game because she knew it'll help ease off the tension. And because their stranger-selves have 3 things together the old Debbie and Lou have. Friendship, instant trust and instant connection.